Improve your Google Analytics with our hub page
Use our hub pages as a reference to get up-to-speed on all the main digital marketing techniques. They will help you quickly understand how to make the most of the technique through definitions and recommendations on our member resources and blog articles covering strategy, best practices and the latest statistics.
Google Analytics is a fantastic tool, but to get the most from it and so get more commercial value from your Internet marketing needs careful setup. Our guides take you through the steps to customise it for your business.
Google Analytics quick guide
Google Analytics success factors
To get the most from Google Analytics you need to:
- Customise it for your business
- Ask the right questions to get better results from your digital marketing
- Know where to look to find the answers
- Have a regular programme of using it to get better results, not just for action.
All of our 7 Step Guides have this built in showing you how to do this. Our many “How To” training videos are also based around answering these questions.
Google Analytics definition
You’ll know that Google Analytics is the free service from Google to help you understand what visitors to your site do and most importantly what you can do to improve it.
Recommended member resources for Google Analytics
Ebooks on Google Analytics
Online training on Google Analytics
How to videos on Google Analytics
Marketing templates on Google Analytics
Google Analytics is itself a software service, but you can get more from it if you use other services that plug in to it using the Google Analytics API. See:
Best websites on Google Analytics
These are sites we recommend to find more advanced tips on how to best use Google Analytics to analyse and improve a site and campaigns. These are also useful for reference when troubleshooting problems in Google Analytics.
- Google Analytics blog – essential for anyone using Google Analytics for updates on new features to Google Analytics. Because it naturally has a lot of detailed updates we have a page on the most important Google Analytics updates for marketers.
- Google Analytics Help Sites – This includes both the text-based help and the forum which is good for troubleshooting – just use the search function on this page. It’s also worth mentioning the Google Conversion University – this is a course for the Google Analytics Individual Qualification which I recommend for all consultants and specialists using GA regularly. But I find when giving courses, that many don’t know it and it’s well worth knowing – the visual guides are MUCH better than the standard text help.
- Measuring success – By Brian Clifton, author of Advanced Web metrics by Brian Clifton – specific advice
- Occam’s Razor – Google’s analytics evangelist, Avinash Kaushik, has many great posts on setting goals and measuring them specifically applied to Google Analytics
- Google conversion room blog – Originally a UK initiative this is good for case studies and tips from Google’s own experts, particularly for Eretail sites.
- Lunametrics blog – one of the best US agency blogs for specialist advice on GA
- ROI Revolution – A US Google Analytics Certified partner
- VKI Studios – Another US agency with more specific advice on SEO and PPC too
- enor blog – Another US blog which is in my reader
- Justin Cutroni’s blog – Justin is author of the original O’Reilly Google Analytics book and the more recent Performance Marketing with Google Analytics book.
Key techniques for Google Analytics
These are the related techniques which we recommend as important for managing Google Analytics effectively. View these hub pages giving details on best practices, statistics and examples for these techniques: