E-commerce statistics benchmark
Our reference sources of the latest consumer adoption and conversion benchmarks for e-commerce
Who is this statistics compilation for?
This guide is for anyone who works in e-commerce marketing who needs to review the latest customer adoption research and statistics or conversion rates to compare their performance or set targets for plans.
What statistics does the compilation include?
To make it quick to find the relevant statistics we have added e-commerce statistics throughout our online adoption guide (slides 59-65). This resource is structured around the RACE Planning Framework for engaging customers through different touchpoints of developing a relationship. It covers these benchmarks:
- Media mix: Percentage of investment in different types of paid, owned and earned media and referrer mix in different sectors.
- Display media: Benchmarks of cost and quality
- Search engine marketing: SEO and Google Ads click-through rates depending on position in the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs). Investment in different ad formats.
- Site engagement: Engagement with site on initial visit using bounce rate, dwell time and pages per visit metrics.
- Lead generation benchmarks: Review conversion to lead and lead quality.
- Mobile platforms: Smartphone and tablet conversion compared to desktop.
- Channel: Variations in conversion for different media in reach.
- Category: How conversion varies by different country.
- Social media marketing: Engagement of brands with their audiences in social media, power of influencers. Paid social spend by format.
- Email marketing: Response and engagement rates with email – delivery, open rate and click-through rate.
Our e-commerce statistics resource provides the latest statistics on customer adoption, and stats that can be used for benchmarking, including conversion statistics and much more.
What is the aim of this resource?
The aim of our statistics compilations is to help you take the right decisions and make the case for investment in e-commerce and digital marketing, whether it’s improvements to your platforms or to help inform which marketing techniques to prioritize.
The purpose of this benchmarks compilation is to help businesses compare their performance to answer questions like “How do we compare?”, “What does good look like?” and “What is the gap, the potential for improving results?” for different channels and platforms.
We aim to compile and regularly update the latest, most useful adoption and benchmarking statistics from the best sources clearly showing the research source and sample.
We’ve incorporated these statistics into our online adoption benchmarking guide for 2023. There is a section of updated e-commerce stats (from slides 59-65) with new data and research.
- Author: Dr. Dave Chaffey
- Format: 50+ slide PowerPoint download containing charts for you to embed in your presentations. See slides 59-65 for new e-commerce data.
About the author
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dr. Dave Chaffey is co-founder of Smart Insights and is a renowned digital marketing expert and speaker. He is author of 5 bestselling books on e-commerce including Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice and was recognized by the Chartered Institute of Marketing in 2004 as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.