Improving results from your website guide
Use a structured review to increase leads, sales and satisfaction from your site
How will this 7 Steps guide help me and my business?
It's difficult to get the right balance on a website between the visual design, user experience, content, marketing persuasion and SEO. Many businesses fail since they don't use a balanced approach, creating an experience which fails many visitors and fails to generate the leads and sales it could.
This guide helps you to get the balance right, through explaining many inspiring examples of best practices from different sectors including B2B, retail e-commerce, travel and financial services.
All touchpoints on the customer journey are covered from home page, category and product pages, utility pages, forms and checkout. We also show how to review and improve performance using your Google Analytics and surveying customers.
This guide shows you:
- How to improve your website design, messaging and content to get better results
- How to audit your site, using an expert review to identify quick wins and other improvements
- Changes to consider for your home page and other key pages to increase conversion
- The best way to get your message across
- How to use Google Analytics to increase leads and sales from your site
- Workbook format makes it quick to review and decide on the changes you need to make to improve your online marketing results.
Who is the guide for?
This guide is designed to help anyone charged with boosting results from a website. Its primary focus is conversion rate optimization, so it will be most useful to ecommerce marketers who convert their customers on site. However, it does have sections designed to be useful to those who convert their customers offline. It’s designed specifically for:
- Ecommerce marketers looking to improve conversion rate
- CRO consultants
- B2B marketers, especially those that convert their leads on-site.
- Small business owners who manage their website and need to increase the number of leads or conversions.
How is this guide structured?
The seven steps are:
- Step 1: What do we want our site to deliver?
- Step 2: Making your site customer-centric
- Step 3: Improving user journeys
- Step 4: Improving your home page
- Step 5: Improving category and product pages
- Step 6: Improving checkout and on-site lead forms
- Step 7: Site optimization using Google Analytics
- Updated examples for the latest design practices
- Updated Google Analytics analysis examples
About the authors
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-CEO and co-founder of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100 templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources used by our premium members in more than 80 countries to Map, Plan and Manage their digital marketing.
For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
James is an E-commerce consultant and owner of Digital Juggler, an E-commerce and Digital Marketing consultancy helping retailers develop, execute and evolve E-commerce strategies and optimise their digital channel. With a background as a Head of E-commerce and also agency side as Head of Client Development, he has experienced life on both sides of the fence. He has helped companies like A&N Media, Sweaty Betty and Smythson to manage RFP/ITT proposals. and been lead consultant on high profile projects for Econsultancy, Salmon and Greenwich Consulting.
He is a guest blogger for Econsultancy, for whom he also writes best practice guides, regularly contributes to industry events and co-hosts #ecomchat, a weekly Twitter chat for e-commerce knowledge sharing.
For e-commerce advice and support, connect with James on LinkedIn and Twitter.