Marketing careers and skills development workbook
Take ownership of your career progression and marketing skills development with our interactive workbook
How will this guide help me and my business?
For marketers who can continuously develop their skills while gaining relevant real-world experience, there is an abundance of career opportunities available. If you want to make the most of these opportunities and stand out from your peers, you will need to be well-positioned, have the right blend of digital marketing skills and, most importantly, have a plan of where you are going and how you can progress to get there. This workbook contains a series of activities for you to take some time out from the noise around you, to reflect and get clarity on the career paths you can follow.
Our interactive workbook will help you to:
- Map out your personal short-term and long-term career goals
- Identify current strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats that can or could affect your marketing career
- Identify the key elements that will motivate you to take action
- Understand the different paths you can take to get to your destination
- Analyze yourself against 25 digital marketing skills
Who is this guide for?
The workbook is aimed at helping you if you have one of these roles:
- New and junior marketers
- Marketing and Digital Managers
- Senior marketers and directors
- Digital specialists
- Freelance marketers
- Anyone wanting to transfer into a marketing role
How is the guide structured?
This guide uses a series of structured questions to help you review your current career, define your aspirations for the future and define steps to develop the skills you need to progress.
The sections are:
- Grow your skills with RACE
- Your pathway to become a successful marketer
- Positioning yourself
- Developing proficiency in your skills including digital marketing mastery
- Recommended resources
- Authors: Imran Farooq and Amelia Cooper
- Format: Interactive, editable pdf document
About the authors
Imran Farooq is CEO of MMC Learning and Senior Examiner at the Chartered Institute of Marketing. A pioneer in the world of online education, Imran has championed the growth and empowerment of over 30K global marketers and entrepreneurs. His wealth of experience, spanning over two decades, gives him a unique and insightful perspective on the evolving dynamics of marketing, the integration of AI technology, and the intricacies of customer journey mapping. His deep-thinking approach and proven ability to drive results have established him as a leader in the field, and his innovative methods continue to push the boundaries of what’s possible in digital marketing.
Amelia Cooper is Head of Content at Smart Insights and is responsible for managing the paid member content library and e-learning resources, as well as strategic planning to ensure customers get the most from their memberships. She is a University of Southampton and the Chartered Institute of Marketing graduate with over 8 years’ experience in digital marketing, specializing in content marketing. She is passionate about personal development and helping other marketers grow their skills in a dynamic industry.