Big book of marketing KPI benchmarks
Create more realistic forecasts, compare performance and identify optimizations with our benchmarks guide.
How will this guide help me and my business?
One of the main benefits of digital marketing is that it enables marketers to measure their activities more closely than ever before. Your marketing can become more data-driven and analytics more actionable. It’s important to be able to forecast and review your return on investment and digital media supports this well.
However, understanding which KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) to use for different types of digital media and platforms can be a challenge, particularly for less experienced digital marketers. There is also the challenge of benchmarking compared to others in your industry: ‘What does good looks like?’ and ‘How do we compare?’ are common questions you hear.
This is where our Marketing KPI benchmarks reference guide will help you. It’s a single indispensable reference giving you:
- A glossary of terms relevant to measuring digital media and platforms
- The most relevant KPIs for improving different types of marketing activity
- Which KPIs to use for different parts of the customer lifecycle structured through the RACE planning framework
- The range of KPIs that are typical for different types of media and in different industry sectors such as B2B, travel, financial services and retail.
- The most trusted regularly updated sources for getting the latest benchmarking data
Who is this guide for?
This guide is aimed at marketing managers who are looking to put in place a framework for measuring and improving their digital marketing activities. Depending on their experience of digital marketing, this could include:
- Marketing Directors and CMOs
- Marketing managers and campaign managers
- Digital marketing managers
- Ecommerce managers
How is this guide structured?
This guide is structured around measures used to review marketing activities across the Smart Insights RACE planning framework, that’s Reach, Act, Convert and Engage.
Key benchmarks covered for different sectors include:
- Lead generation conversion rates for B2B
- Retail add-to-basket and conversion rates
- Traffic mix, e.g. referrers for organic, paid search and social media
- Website engagement (e.g. bounce rates)
In each section, we will explain
- The best KPIs for you to benchmark against
- Benchmark figures and links to the best sources for comparison data and tools
- Best practice tips on how to use the KPIs to forecast and improve performance
- Authors: Dave Chaffey Chaffey and Sarah Lindley
- Format: Long form and example accompanying spreadsheet.
- Related recommended resources:
Digital Marketing Goal Setting, Evaluation and Optimization Guide explains how to structure metrics for dashboards
Online Marketing Benchmarks statistics compilation is an alternative Powerpoint format for using in presentations with less narrative and discussion of KPI selection and use
About the authors
Dr Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-founder of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100+ templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources used by our members in more than 100 countries to Plan, Manage and Optimize their digital marketing.
For my full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
Sarah Lindley, Managing Director at The Yorkshire Marketing Agency, is an award-winning Chartered Marketer. Sarah holds over 10 years’ experience in implementing results-driven marketing and communications strategies, plans and campaigns