Email marketing strategy guide
Learn how to get more from your email marketing
How will this 7 steps to success guide help me and my business
Email marketing is still a major communications channel and source of sales for businesses across many sectors. Yet, many of these sales are from newsletters and campaign emails since many businesses don't have an email communications strategy exploiting the power of marketing automation.
This comprehensive guide shows you how to take your email marketing strategy to the next level, covering a lot more than tips to improve your creative and copy, although we do cover this too.
It helps email marketers create a strategic approach to email marketing by using the best communications strategy, targeting and marketing automation to maximise returns from their lists.
Who is this guide for?
This guide is for everyone involved with crafting email marketing strategies to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of their email marketing including:
- Marketing managers, digital marketing and e-commerce managers
- Email marketing and CRM specialists including CRM managers and email marketing managers and execs
How is this guide structured?
This guide shows you how to take your email marketing strategy to the next level:
- Workbook format makes it quick to review and decide on the changes you need to make to your email marketing to get better results
- Covers both email communications strategy of relevance, targeting and timing and practical advice on how to improve your email creative
- Written by Dave Chaffey and respected email marketing experts Jordie van Rijn and Tim Watson. Dave has trained and consulted in email marketing since 2002 and is the author of Total Email Marketing (originally updated in 2006).
The seven steps covered are:
- An introduction to email marketing
- Step 1: Prioritize your email marketing efforts with the critical factors
- Step 2: Set your goals and build your list for email marketing
- Step 3: Defining your email marketing proposition
- Step 4: Segmentation and targeting
- Step 5: Defining an integrated view on RFM and email frequency
- Step 6: Creating effective email templates and creative
- Step 7: Test, learn, and refine to increase email effectiveness
- New example from CIPD
- New customer lifecycle segmentation table
- This guide has also been updated to our latest PDF styles
- Authors: Dr Dave Chaffey, Jordie van Rijn, Tim Watson
- Format: In-depth 100+ page download with examples, strategy recommendations, and tips
About the authors
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-CEO and co-founder of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100 templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources used by our premium members in more than 80 countries to Map, Plan and Manage their digital marketing.
For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
Jordie van Rijn
Jordie is an independent email and eCRM marketing consultant. Entrepreneur Magazine titled him “One of 50 Online Marketing Influencers to Watch”. Brands like Unilever and KLM turn to him for advice. He is the founder of an international platform for Email and Marketing Automation Software selection. Next to helping companies improve their marketing results, he is often asked as a trainer and keynote speaker. His practical and enthusiastic approach is contagious and will have you sending better emails the next day.
Tim Watson, from consultancy Zettasphere, is the Smart Insights expert commentator on email marketing. He is an independent email marketing consultant providing strategic guidance, to deliver improved campaign results. A member of the DMA Email Council and chair of the DMA Email Best Practice hub. He actively promotes email and frequently speaks on the subject and how to improve use of the channel. Connect with Tim via LinkedIn or Twitter.
Access this resource now
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 12 other guides in the Email marketing and marketing automation Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?