Google Analytics setup audit
Customize Google Analytics so you can prove the value of digital marketing for your business
How will this Google Analytics audit template help me?
To get the most from Analytics so you can adopt a data-driven approach to review and improve your digital marketing activity, it should be customized to your business. Customization is needed to set up Analytics features like goals, funnels, events and custom dimensions to help the business regularly review and improve its online marketing. Plus insight available from benchmarking reports, demographics and Google Signals may be missed if you don't know what options are available.
This popular template is indispensable if you're serious about the accuracy of your Analytics and applying data-driven marketing to improve results for your business:
- Reviews key Analytics configuration options in 10 sections - check what you’re missing and what you need to change
- Allows you to produce a report showing improvements needed for report customization
- Originally written by Dave Chaffey, a digital strategist who has the Google Analytics Individual Qualification. Now updated by Jill Quick a specialist Google Analytics trainer and consultant.
- Recommends the best Google Chrome extensions to help you review current analytics set up
What does the template include?
This is unbranded auditing template to help you review and report on Google Analytics customizations to amend for your company or clients if you work for an agency or as a consultant.
It is a 30+ Word page template since there are hundreds of technical configuration options within Analytics. To simplify configuration, the template is structured in these sections with shorter sections a the beginning:
- Exec summary. For review and approval of the key customizations.
- 1.0 Objectives and goals. A key part of customization that is missed. Includes macro and micro goals applied to our RACE planning framework.
- 2.0 Admin Audit. A checklist structured by Account, Property and View.
- 3.0 – 10.0. Sections prompting you with questions you should answer in a more detailed audit and guidance on specific configurations to present for review and approval. Integrated with Google Analytics Help guidance.
Setup of Google Analytics is simplified into 10 key audit areas including:
- Goals and funnels, Enhanced E-commerce tracking
- Google Account, property and View Admin including user management
- Setting up Views for different countries and to exclude company staff
- Data integrations including Google Ads, Search Console and Signals
- Marketing outcomes and Google Analytics Events
- Marketing campaign tracking (including email marketing and social media marketing)
- Audience segments, demographics and custom dimensions
- Attribution models
- Multichannel reporting
Who is this setup audit for?
Many businesses use Google Analytics for reporting on digital marketing, but many do not have it configured to support their unique business goals. These will vary from industry to industry, so we’ve designed this template to be helpful across many different industries so you can configure your Analytics to match your businesses KPIs. It will be especially useful for:
- Marketing managers who need to set up their Google Analytics to review key metrics and allocate resources accordingly
- Small business owners who manage their own Google Analytics
- E-commerce marketers looking to make better use of Google Analytics to get insights into customer journeys
- Agency team members or consultants responsible for auditing and managing Google Analytics for their clients’ websites
- Author: Dave Chaffey, updated by Digital Marketing consultant Jill Quick
- Format: Comprehensive 30+ page unbranded blank Word template – use to review set up for your business or to audit your clients. Select the summary sections most relevant for you or your clients.
- Related content: We recommend this in-depth spreadsheet on using Google Analytics for E-commerce for more detailed advice on Google Analytics customisation. Step 1 in our Guide to Google Analytics explains customizations further. Our Website performance reporting template recommends insight that should be included in a monthly PowerPoint report for digital marketing,
About the authors
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-founder of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100 templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources used by our premium members in more than 100 countries to Plan, Manage and Optimize their digital marketing.
For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
Jill Quick, a digital marketing trainer and co-founder of The Coloring in Department. A candid and experiences marketer who loves to teach you not just how to ‘get’ digital marketing in theory, but how to actually DO it.
Access this resource now
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 5 other guides in the Google Analytics Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?