GDPR and ePrivacy briefing for marketing professionals
Our round-up and recommendations on practical steps to comply with European Union data protection and privacy legislation
How will this guide help me and my business?
The General Data Protection Regulation came into force in all 28 countries in Europe on 25th May 2018, but we’ve been surprised at the low levels of awareness amongst marketers of the new ePrivacy initiative from the European Union amongst marketers.
In this report we cover the latest examples and discussion on both of these regulations which seeks to improve transparency and the effectiveness of data protection activities. It affects how businesses must explain and obtain consent for new and existing prospects and customers who subscribe to their email lists and are stored within CRM and other systems.
What our GDPR briefing shows you
Our briefing will help you:
- Learn the concepts and guidance of the GDPR and how you need to respond and when.
- Understand the context of GDPR, explaining differences to previous data protection legislation and relating it other laws such as the new 2019 ePrivacy directive/Privacy and update to the Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR) which will come into force after GDPR.
- Prioritise actions you need to take to prepare and implement your solution.
- Get practical recommendations on how you need to update your data collection forms, privacy statements and re-consent.
- Review examples of forms and statements companies have used to gain consent.
Who is this guide for?
GDPR affects all businesses that market to customers in Europe.
This guide is aimed at anyone responsible for customer data, communications and legal compliance for communications. This includes:
- Business owners and directors who have legal responsibility to comply
- Senior marketing managers such as CMOs, heads of marketing and brand managers
- Marketers involved with implementing GDPR, i.e. campaign and email marketing managers and execs
- Those specifically responsible for data protection compliance
- GDPR affects companies based in the EU but also companies outside of the EU that have customers (or personal data) within the EU
How is this resource structured?
The guide contains practical information to help you understand GDPR and implement anything required before it comes into force. The sections in the guide are:
- What’s coming
- ePrivacy/PECR and electronic marketing
- GDPR for marketers
- Practical steps for your GDPR programme
- Examples of re-consent emails
- Gaining consent for use of online advertising
- Examples of forms and privacy statements
- Useful sites
- Updated information about the ePrivacy initiative, including what upcoming factors could influence its development.
- A review of how GDPR has been received over its first year of implementation.
- New section about conducting a data privacy impact assessment.
- Authors: Kim Greenop-Gadsby produced the original version of this guide, and Steve Henderson and Nick Crawford have provided its respective updates.
- Format: Online long form containing the latest information on GDPR interpretation, with quizzes and actionable strategy recommendations
About the authors
A CRM, direct marketing and automation consultant with a specialism in email, Nick Crawford’s mission is to help businesses win and retain customers with relevant and engaging marketing.
Drawing on over 15 years agency and client side delivery experience across B2C and B2B, Nick created Twist Consultancy providing data-driven marketing and strategic planning to improve how brands connect to people.
An elected member of the DMA Email council and legal hub and IDM Tutor, Nick supports fellow practitioners across all things email from deliverability to testing to compliance.
Steve Henderson is the Compliance Officer for Communicator. With over a decade’s experience in email, he is an expert on the impact of the GDPR and ePrivacy on the email marketing industry. Steve sits on the UK DMA Email Council, chairs the Legal Hub of the DMA Email Council, belongs to the CIPP/E, the CIPT and has been awarded the IAPP Fellow of Information Privacy. When not talking about email, Steve enjoys TaekwonDo and gin. Steve edited the second version of this guide published in March 2018.
Kim Greenop-Gadsby is the Email Marketing Manager for Smart Insights. She manages all of Smart Insights email marketing and their automation platform. She gets very excited about all things email because she is #EmailGeekUK. Kim was born and bred in South Africa and has over 16 years experience in web development and digital marketing. When she is not being an email geek, she spends her time with her husband, two sons and their menagerie of pets.
Access this resource now
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 12 other guides in the Email marketing and marketing automation Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?