B2B Startup Digital Marketing Plan example and case study
Includes B2B digital marketing workbook and KPI dashboard for a B2B SaaS website
About our SaaS startup digital marketing planning workbook and template
When we first released our blank digital marketing strategy templates to help members create their own plans, our members asked for more examples from different sectors. Understandable! So, in response we created our first B2C Digital marketing plan example for Wow Accessories. We followed this in our this B2B inbound marketing plan in our B2B toolkit by B2B marketing consultant Jill Quick
This template, the next in the series, gives the example of an online startup SaaS business. Although the example is specific to a SaaS startup, we think it's also applicable to other types of business-to-business company and the report spreadsheet is relevant to B2C SaaS businesses too.
B2B SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) typically involves freemium subscription based models of payment for the provision of an ongoing service, which distinguishes it from other businesses which sell products on a one-off basis. This presents unique challenges and opportunities in terms of creating the business plan and marketing the product itself.
SaaS products are often novel or unique, so it can be very challenging to convince prospects of the value you provide. To help meet this challenge we have produced a specific SaaS digital marketing workbook, with case study and an Excel dashboard template.
This resource includes:
- Case study: a realistic case study examining the journey of a B2B SaaS company (Curate.me) building their digital marketing plan (based on a real startup project example).
- Workbook: a blank Word template with the same structure to take you through each of the steps involved with relevant editable fields, to help you build a digital marketing plan for your SaaS product. The end result will be a fully workable marketing plan.
- Dashboard template: to help with goal setting and monitoring growth we have also included a KPI dashboard structured around our RACE Planning framework in Excel format - this is referenced in the workbook
What does the workbook cover?
The workbook and example will guide you through each and every step involved in creating a digital marketing strategy to market SaaS products.
- PR Smith's SOSTAC® plan summary
- Digital marketing specific SWOT Analysis Template
- Setting vision and values
- Using customer segmentation
- KPI dashboard instructions + SaaS KPI Dashboard
- Digital strategy planning Matrix based on RACE framework
- Business model creation tool
- Content marketing audit tool
- Online competitor benchmarking tool
Who is this resource for?
The case study included in this resource is for a B2B SaaS business, so it will be most useful for those looking to start or grow a B2B Saas businesses. However, the workbook template and KPI dashboard are designed to help the marketing of any start-up business, so you don't have to be selling to business or have a SaaS business model for the workbook to be useful.
- Authors: Digital marketing consultant Jill Quick and Dave Chaffey
- Last updated: July 2016
- Format: 3 separate templates in a download Zip archive to help create your B2B Saas Strategy: A Word document workbook for you to amend, a Case Study and an Excel KPI Dashboard.