Social media marketing playbook
A practical checklist to review and improve your investment in social media marketing
How will the playbook help me and my business?
We believe that you need to plan to get the most from social media marketing.
Our social media planning playbook is structured as a checklist, to help you review your current approach to social media and manage your organic social media updates as well as any paid social advertising in a more effective manner. We cover strategy and tactics in more detail in our Social Media Marketing Learning Path, but this template gives you a top-level view of the key activities you should focus on.
Today many companies are using social media tactics by posting updates to Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube. However to make the most of the many opportunities social media marketing provides, while managing any potential threats, a plan will help you build a communications and content strategy as well as an editorial plan, so you can monitor and measure business results from your social tactics.
This template shows you:
- What needs to go into your social media plan
- How to set objectives and measure your social media marketing
- Social media governance advice including reputation management
- How to create an effective content strategy to engage your audience with organic and paid ads
- How to integrate social media with your website and other digital channels
- Practical issues to manage for using the core social networks
- Tools to track and manage your social media marketing
Who is this guide aimed at?
This playbook is aimed at marketers responsible for integrating a brand's social media communications, typically as part of other communications. These include:
- Marketing directors, VP of Marketing, CMO and marketing managers
- Digital marketing or Ecommerce managers
- Social media marketing managers
What does the social media marketing playbook cover?
Our playbook will help you review your approach to managing social media, with topics set out in a checklist format to guide your planning. The 7 key steps included are:
- Step 1. Review your social media marketing capabilities and set goals
- Step 2. Devise your social media strategy (organic and paid ads)
- Step 3. Set up / update your social media listening
- Step 4. Define content and engagement strategy
- Step 5. Define social media communications strategy
- Step 6. Improve your approach for the main social networks
- Step 7. Evaluation, tracking and optimization
- Author: Dr Dave Chaffey, Smart Insights’ co-founder and industry expert
- Editor: Amelia Mayes, Smart Insights’ Digital Content Strategist
- Format: A detailed checklist of 20 activities to review for better results from your social media marketing
- Related resources: Visit our Social media marketing hub for all the guides and templates used by premium members to create a social media strategy and guides to best practices for all the main social media networks. You can also explore our Social Media Marketing e-learning course which takes you through step-by-step advice on how to create a winning social media strategy.
About the author
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-founder of Smart Insights and creator of the Smart Insights RACE planning framework. For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognized by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
Access this resource now
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 12 other guides in the Social media marketing Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?