Social Media Marketing Playbook
A practical checklist to review and improve your returns from social media marketing
How will the playbook help me and my business?
We believe that you need to plan to get the most from social media marketing.
Our social media planning checklist will help you review your current approach to social media to create a future social media plan and manage your organic social media updates and paid social advertising more effectively. We cover strategy and tactics in much more detail in our other guides on each social network, but this template gives you a top-level view of the key activities you should focus on.
Today many companies are using social media tactics by posting updates to Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube. But to make the most of the fantastic opportunity of social media and manage the threats, a plan will help you build a communications strategy, content strategy and editorial plan so that your social communications give you the results you need.
This template shows you:
- What needs to go into your social media plan
- Setting objectives and measuring social media marketing
- Social media governance including reputation management
- How to create an effective content strategy to engage your audience with organic and paid ads
- How to integrate social media with your website and other digital channels
- Practical issues to manage for using all the core social networks
- Tools to track and manage social media marketing
Who is this guide aimed at?
This playbook is aimed at marketers responsible for integrating a brand's social media communications, typically as part of other communications. These include:
- Marketing director, VP of Marketing, CMO and marketing manager
- Digital marketing or Ecommerce manager
- Social media marketing manager
What does the social media marketing playbook cover?
Our checklist will help you review your approach to managing social media with checklist questions in these 7 key areas:
- Step 1 Review your Email marketing capabilities and set goals
- Step 2 Devise your social media strategy (organic and paid ads)
- Step 3. Set up / update your social media listening
- Step 4 Define content and engagement strategy
- Step 5 Define social media communications strategy
- Step 6 Improve your approach for the main social networks
- Step 7 Evaluation, tracking and optimisation
- Author: Dr Dave Chaffey, co-founder and content director, Smart Insights
- Format: A detailed checklist of 20 activities to review for better results from social media marketing
- Related resources: See our Social media marketing hub for all the guides and templates used by premium members to create a social media strategy and guides to best practices for all the main social media networks.
Individual or Business members get full access to this and 14 other guides in the Social media marketing Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?