Social media marketing playbook
A practical checklist to review and improve your returns from social media marketing
How will the playbook help me and my business?
We believe that you need to plan to get the most from social media marketing.
Our social media planning checklist will help you review your current approach to social media and manage your organic social media updates as well as paid social advertising in a more effective manner. We cover strategy and tactics in much more detail in our other guides on each social network, but this template gives you a top-level view of the key activities you should focus on.
Today many companies are using social media tactics by posting updates to Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube. But to make the most of the fantastic opportunity of social media and manage the threats, a plan will help you build a communications strategy, content strategy and editorial plan so that your social communications give you the results you need.
This template shows you:
- What needs to go into your social media plan
- Setting objectives and measuring social media marketing
- Social media governance including reputation management
- How to create an effective content strategy to engage your audience with organic and paid ads
- How to integrate social media with your website and other digital channels
- Practical issues to manage for using all the core social networks
- Tools to track and manage social media marketing
Who is this guide aimed at?
This playbook is aimed at marketers responsible for integrating a brand's social media communications, typically as part of other communications. These include:
- Marketing director, VP of Marketing, CMO and marketing manager
- Digital marketing or Ecommerce manager
- Social media marketing manager
What does the social media marketing playbook cover?
Our checklist will help you review your approach to managing social media with checklist questions in these 7 key areas:
- Step 1 Review your social media marketing capabilities and set goals
- Step 2 Devise your social media strategy (organic and paid ads)
- Step 3 Set up / update your social media listening
- Step 4 Define content and engagement strategy
- Step 5 Define social media communications strategy
- Step 6 Improve your approach for the main social networks
- Step 7 Evaluation, tracking and optimisation
- Author: Dr Dave Chaffey, co-founder and content director, Smart Insights
- Format: A detailed checklist of 20 activities to review for better results from social media marketing
- Related resources: See our Social media marketing hub for all the guides and templates used by premium members to create a social media strategy and guides to best practices for all the main social media networks.
About the author
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-founder of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100+ templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources used by our members in more than 100 countries to Plan, Manage and Optimize their digital marketing.
For my full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
Access this resource now
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 13 other guides in the Social media marketing Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?