Video in Email: benefits, myths and best practices
This infographic from Email Monks and Email on Acid showcases some interesting stats on video email. It may surprise you that HTML5 Video is now supported by 58% of email clients.
Our new infographic also reviews some of the myths of using video in email marketing and summarises some best practices.
Some of the many business advantages of using video in your email campaign are:
- Stand out from the crowd: Using video in email gives you the first mover advantage and helps you stand out from the competition.
- Increased ROI: Research has shown that video email receives a better response in terms of open rates and very high click-through rates compared to traditional emails.
- Better Branding: Using video email leads to increased website traffic, increased conversion rate, brand awareness, and more referrals in turn.
- Matches Human Touch: Videos with quality content and that 'human touch' adds to strategies. In fact, they can even replace physical salesmen.
Monks also suggests two ways of incorporating video in an email:
- One way is to use static image method or click to view method, where marketers use a static image of the video within an email. When a user clicks on the image, they will be redirected to the landing page where the video will play.
- The other way is using HTML5 video where, email marketers can embed video directly in email through the use of a video tag without causing deliverability problems.
According to email client market share statistics, 58% of all users will be able to see the video in email and 42% of all users according to email client market share will see the fallback image and not play the video. This data has been obtained in collaboration with Email on Acid.
Best practices of using video in email campaigns
The infographic also reveals the best practices of using video in email. Some of them include:
- Ensure the player controls are visible and have a fallback image in case it can’t play in the user’s browser as having fallback images and proper buttons will lead to user interaction and increased conversion rate.
- Use the word 'video' in the subject line and highlight the nature of the video content in the subject line. Doing so, Audience consuming video content becomes more receptive.
- Encourage the sharing of video with social sharing and forward to a friend options. It will help creating the much needed buzz.