Email sequence contact strategy template
Use this spreadsheet to define triggered email sequences for briefing designers and copywriters
This spreadsheet provides a template for marketers to create a messaging sequence that supports their business for the range of potential event-triggered campaigns
About the Email contact strategy spreadsheet
Research shows that behavioural email marketing is a powerful technique to automatically follow-up online customer actions to help increase conversion to sale at a low cost. However, the technique is still used by relatively few companies. One barrier to setting up these event-triggered email sequences is the time it takes to specify the sequences if it’s a new approach to the company or agency.
This spreadsheet provides a template for marketers to create a messaging sequence that supports their business for the range of potential behavioural or event-triggered campaigns including:
- Welcome sequence for a new subscriber or lead to an email list
- Welcome sequence for new customer (onboarding)
- Reactivation of customers or subscribers who lose engagement
- Abandoned shopping cart follow-up emails
- Shoppers browse or search on a site but don’t buy follow-up
- Time to repurchase or replenishment emails
Who will find the spreadsheet useful?
The spreadsheet will help collaboration between a range of people who may be involved with setting up and reviewing behavioural email campaigns including:
- Marketing or e-commerce managers responsible for creating communications strategy
- Email marketing execs
- Email or digital marketing consultants
- Agency or email service provider consultants
It can be used to agree communications goals between marketers and then brief specialist copywriters and designers.
About the authors
It’s based on a ‘tried-and-tested’ approach originally developed by Dave Chaffey 10+ years ago when consulting with travel, retail and financial services businesses and updated through work with recent customers.
What does the spreadsheet include?
This example template was developed for an event-triggered “Welcome” email sequence based around a brochure download. It’s a classic inbound/permission marketing lead generation approach which can be used for B2C or B2B campaigns where access to content or a trial service is given in return for an individuals details. The template includes 3 worksheets including:
- A grid showing a row for each message in the sequence with 16 columns (some optional) for defining communications requirements, targeting, trigger rules and messaging. 3 Example fields are shown for an email sequence
- Read me explaining how to use each field with an example of how to lay out the creative
- A template of 8 other campaign control issues that must be defined including tracking, testing, unsubscribes and message suppression
You can read more about how to plan email sequences in this introduction.
Recommended resource: Guide to designing effective welcome emails
Individual or Business members get full access to this and 10 other guides in the Email Marketing and Marketing Automation Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?
Login here Look Inside