Email marketing audit
Assess your capabilities and identify areas of improvement in your email marketing
How will this email marketing audit help me and my business?
It's hard to plan a route from A to B if you don't know where you are or even where you need to be. Improving your email marketing is a constant process of examination and optimization, which means regular audits are essential. By regularly benchmarking your capabilities, making improvements on your next campaigns, then reassessing your skills, you'll see how elements of your email marketing strengthen over time.
The aim of this audit is to provide a fast and systematic method of evaluating the use of email marketing communications and marketing automation within a company. Our email marketing audit is easy to complete, gives you comprehensive criteria to assess your skills against, and provides all the key activities that need to be considered within your email marketing strategy, broken down into six categories:
- Objectives and Value
- Email Communications Strategy
- Copy and Design
- Deliverability and Permission
How is the audit structured?
Our audit is filled with situation statements for you to grade yourself against. For each statement, such as:
"We track revenue generated from our email marketing."
you will grade yourself on the following scale:
- 0 – We haven't addressed this
- 1 – We're poor at this
- 2 – We've looked into this and are working on it
- 3 – We're about average compared to our competitors
- 4 – We're good at this but we can optimize
- 5 – We think we're one of the best at this
Once you have score your capability for all of your statements, you will be presented with a radar chart to be used as a summary of your email marketing proficiency. By reading back through your statement scores, you know the activities you need to complete in the near future and what you should improve these in the next 6-12 months. You may be tempted to stay comfortable with statements score 4-5, but there's always room for innovation and potential to push your results even higher!
Who is the email marketing audit for?
This email marketing audit has been created for marketing directors, managers, and agencies involved in email marketing who want to improve their marketing automation.
The audit can be completed by a single marketer, but you should consider walking through it with a colleague, your team or an external consultant. Doing so will stimulate insightful conversation as you consider each statement and how your brand measured up to your competitors.
This audit has been edited to include a slicer filter so you can see statements that you have given specific ratings (e.g. see all '1' rated statements). When you are developing a plan to improve your email marketing, review how you have rated the above statements and prioritize them using the following matrix:
- 0 – These tasks either need addressing immediately (as you do not use them) or should be disregarded (as they do not apply to you).
- 1 – These tasks are priorities for improvement in the next three months.
- 2 – These tasks should preferably be improved over the next 3-6 months.
- 3 – These tasks are being completed competently, so opportunities for optimization should be researched.
- 4 – These tasks are reliably completed, so long-term opportunities for refinement and experimentation should be researched.
- 5 – These tasks are executed to an extremely high standard, meaning you may want to think of creative ways to innovate.
- Authors: Email marketing consultants Tim Watson and Dave Chaffey
- Format: Excel spreadsheet to score and identify improvements to your email marketing
About the authors
Tim Watson, from consultancy Zettasphere, is the Smart Insights expert commentator on email marketing. He is an independent email marketing consultant providing strategic guidance, to deliver improved campaign results. A member of the DMA Email Council and chair of the DMA Email Best Practice hub. He actively promotes email and frequently speaks on the subject and how to improve use of the channel. Connect with Tim via LinkedIn or Twitter.
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-founder and content director of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100 templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources used by our premium members in more than 80 countries to Map, Plan and Manage their digital marketing.
For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.