Email marketing campaign calculator
Actionable email marketing ROI calculator template
How will this email marketing campaign calculator help me and my business?
We have developed this template to help marketers set targets and justify investment to improvements for their email marketing.
It will enable you to specify best and worst case delivery, open and clickthrough rates and business outcomes. Use it to calculate your responses and value-generated for business automatically.
This template will give you:
- A method to plan your response and return on investment from in-house or partner email campaigns
- The ability to calculate return on investment from email optimization projects - useful for justifying investment in consulting projects
- A tool to more accurately assess the number of responses from email channels
- A simple method for reviewing newsletter performance
- A workbook format to make reviewing and deciding on the changes you need to action to improve your online marketing results quick.
How is this template structured?
This template is made up of a number of spreadsheets, listed in tabs at the bottom of the document. It contains the following spreadsheets:
- Objective setting - Define profitability for an email campaign - set target profitability for worst case and best case scenarios. For transactional sites with sales figures.
- Basic campaign assessment - Similar format to the Objective setting worksheet but without target profitability. For transactional sites with sales figures.
- Simple campaign response - A simpler model suitable for non-transactional campaigns, e.g., encouraging event attendance.
- ROI calculator - For email marketing optimization - consultants spreadsheet contributed by Consulting Delivery Manager Richard Austin to review returns to improvements in ROI.
- Newsletter reporting - Use these worksheets for manual reporting (only useful if your email service provider doesn't offer suitable reporting).
- Campaign reporting - Use these worksheets for manual reporting (only useful if your email service provider doesn't offer suitable reporting).
Who is the email campaign calculator for?
This resource is for anyone working in email marketing looking to improve the ROI of their campaigns. It would be great for Email Marketing Specialists and Marketing Managers to use when planning campaign spend and analyzing email objectives.
This template has been updated for 2023 with more useful guidance to support you as you use the template, better cross-referencing and improved usability features.
- Author: Dr. Dave Chaffey
- Editor: Amelia Mayes
- Format: Downloadable Microsoft Excel document
- Recommended resources:
About the author
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-founder of Smart Insights and creator of the Smart Insights RACE planning framework. For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognized by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
Access this resource now
All Paid memberships have full access to this and 217 other guides in the Email marketing and marketing automation Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an paid member?