What are the most popular free and paid marketing writing asisstant tools using generative AI for creating content?
2023 has been a rare year in marketing, where the latest martech innovations we discuss have crossed over into the mainstream. Of course, this has been prompted by the huge interest in ChatGPT, not only for marketing, but in many other applications.
For 'hands-on' marketers seeking to take advantage of the latest AI-based tools for generating content and copywriting, there are now quite a few options which I'll recommend at the end of the post.
In previous posts, I have reviewed how to use the free version of ChatGPT for marketing and covered the latest updates to ChatGPT relevant for marketers.
Smart Insights Business Members can also read more about how to start use ChatGPT collaboratively in our new Quick Win: How to use ChatGPT for marketing, covering AI marketing planning, strengths and weaknesses of ChatGPT, and how to integrate ChatGPT into your marketing strategy.
What functionality is available in these Generative AI tools
All these AI-based copywriting tools offer the capability to create content based on prompts in a similar way to ChatGPT - see my article giving tips on prompting for ChatGPT copy for marketing. The most popular applications available in the tools are:
- Copywriting for organic search, e.g. creating a blog post or suggesting the structure of an article
- Generating keywords lists to target through paid and natural search
- Creating ad copy for Google Ads (GPT understands the size limits for headlines and description) which can then be AB tested
- Creating copy for social media updates
- Creating paid social ad copy, e.g. for Facebook or Instagram
If you're a content marketer or SEO specialist or strategist, we also have a Business Membership Level Quick Win with specific details about using AI for SEO with ChatGPT.
Our 10 recommended Generative AI content tools
If you're looking to make more use of AI copywriting to increase the amount and hopefully quality of your content, your options really fall into two categories. First, the free tools from Open AI, the creators of ChatGPT and the GPT Large Language models and second paid services from other providers that also use LLMs, some of which are from Open AI.
Free and paid options from Open AI
- 1. Free preview version of ChatGPT - this is what everyone used during the initial hype... It still uses the earlier GPT-3 large language model (LLM). If you're yet to take a look, you can register and sign-in and start experminenting here. The page to bookmark is https://chat.openai.com/. This is an example from my article on prompts for emial marketing.
- 2. AIPRM For ChatGPT extension - Short for AI Prompts, this tool adds a list of curated prompt templates for SEO, SaaS and more to ChatGPT. The example below shows that you can choose the best prompt for different categories - this shows different prompt tools for social media ads from community contributors.
- 3 . ChatGPT playground - this is a less well known alternative method of using ChatGPT that I used since it was less overloaded by traffic than the first option. The URL is https://platform.openai.com/playground. The same OpenAI sign-in is used.
- 4. ChatGPT for iOS - released in Spring 2023. An Android version isn't available yet, but Bing featuring GPT-4 is available from the Google Play Store.
- 5. Chat GPT Bing integration - GPT-4 is now available from the Bing integration - choose the Chat option at the top of the page.
- 6. ChatGPT Plus - The paid option offers better availability and performance including access to the latest GPT-4 model. The current fee is $20 / month. You can upgrade to the paid plan from within ChatGPT preview (option 1, above)
Paid tools for automatically creating and generating copy
The attention on ChatGPT has also prompted marketers in larger organisations with budget to invest in paid services as alternatives to ChatGPT as part of their response to the opportunities of Generative AI.
Some of the best established tools that have been recommended to me via colleagues on LinkedIn are:
- 7. Jasper.AI - Offers to write long content such as blog posts, reports email and stories in 25 languages.
- 8. Writesonic - Offers AI article ideas or posts, landing pages, SEO articles, Facebook and Google Ads
- 9. Hyper Writer - Includes a Blog creator, Facebook and LinkedIn Post Creator and Email responder
- 10. Byword AI - has an interesting case study on how it was used to grow a B2B financial modelling service from 0 to 750K/mo SEO traffic with GPT–4 AI (but with the content and SEO strategy based experience no doubt).
Alternative sources giving reviews of AI copywriting tools
Platforms comparing martech are another option to review the AI tools available. The best sources of reviews are:
- G2Crowd AI writing Assistants - The most reviews are for Jasper and Writesonic listed above, both scoring 4.7 out of 5 at the time of writing which is relatively high for a martech tool! Anyword is another tool that rates well.
- Capterra AI writing assistant software - this features similar recommended tools to G2Crowd. There are some in both that are less well known such as Grammarly which is the most popular tool for checking copy
Please connect with me on LinkedIn if you're able to share your experiences with using these AI marketing tools and then I can share with other marketers reading this post. If you have developed a tool for creating content and have examples or case studies of its effectiveness I'd be interested to share these too.