One of the newest tools in digital marketing, messenger applications present a great opportunity for brands to boost their open rates, enhance their visibility, and build a great relationship with customers
Messaging applications are online communication channels that facilitate free, instant messaging between individuals or within groups. Some popular examples include Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, and WeChat in China. In recent years, companies have started to use these apps to privately share relevant content with customers.
So, are messaging apps the next big thing in customer communications?
As of 2015, mobile messaging app usage surpassed social media usage for the first time and has continued to grow since. As such, messaging apps have become an essential marketing and communications tool for businesses. Many marketers in 2019 are drawn to messenger apps by their impressive open rate, which is far higher than that of traditional B2C communication methods such as email.
The stats on messaging app open rates
Statistics indicate that push notification apps are the way to go for maximizing engagement. In 2017, HubSpot conducted an experiment in which it sent an identical message via email and through a messaging app. The results were surprising, as the open rate for the app was a whopping 80% compared to a paltry 33% for email. Another example is WeChat, one of the leading messaging apps in China, which has daily open rates of more than 60%.
So, why do messaging apps have such a high open-rate?
One of the biggest advantages of messaging apps is that you don't have to depend on an algorithm or a fee in order to be seen. Furthermore, unlike other channels, SMS notifications will appear on a device’s home screen – and this added on-screen real estate will give you much greater visibility to the customer.
Why are messaging apps the smart marketing choice for your brand?
Messaging apps appeal to customers’ preference for real-time, mobile-based communications. In addition to high open rates, messaging apps offer a diverse range of benefits. As such, they can make a fantastic addition to any marketing strategy.
- 8% of people worldwide use smartphones, as such messaging apps can be used to reach a vast audience.
- They offer a highly cost-effective option as these platforms are usually free.
- With an average unsubscribe rate of under 1%, messaging apps tend to generate tremendous loyalty.
5 ways to supercharge your open rates
- Create a specific community for potential clients who are already using the messaging platform. By establishing a space where customers can contact you directly, you can strengthen your relationship, and this will have a positive effect on your open rates.
- You should also build a separate community for existing partners and clients. Use the messaging app to send real-time updates to customers so they can stay in the loop.
- According to a 2017 survey from HubSpot, 48% of consumers say that live chat as their most preferred means of contacting a business. The use of chatbots in live chats can help users quickly find the exact information they need 24-7 without any redundant filler. Taking an innovative approach to the use of chatbots can help to increase your open rates.
- Provide a personal touch with one-to-one messaging. Personalized marketing is highly effective in driving customer engagement and building retention rates. According to Salesforce, high-performing businesses use data-targeting and segmentation 51% more than underperforming businesses.
- Collaborate with an influencer to boost open rates and customer engagement. Just make sure that the influencer both appeals to your target market and aligns with your brand values.
Discover the huge potential of messaging apps in the infographic below
If you are interested in learning more about how messaging apps can help boost your open rates, then you may want to take a look at the infographic below from the team at Cadoo. It takes you through some key stats about messaging app open rates and offers some practical pointers on how to increase the visibility of your messages.
Orla Forrest is a Marketing Executive with Cadoo
, providers of SMS and free push messaging services in Ireland. You can keep up with the latest news from Cadoo on Facebook