Chart of the Day: How far towards GDPR compliance are you? Part 1 of 2
Death, taxes and GDPR
I like to think that if Benjamin Frankin was alive today, he would agree that there are now three certainties in life. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force in all 28 countries in Europe on 25th May 2018.
But seriously, folks ...
... how compliant are you really? Are you leaving it until the last minute or are you already sorted? Recent research by the IAPP and TrustArc, surveyed nearly 500 privacy professionals in the US and EU have discovered some worrying statistics. 84% of U.S. firms say they’ll be compliant by 25th May, while more than one in four EU organizations don’t have confidence they’ll be fully compliant. This is very alarming. Next week I will be looking at what the biggest barriers are to GDPR Compliance.
I know it can seem daunting. Time is running out, the fines are terrifying and sometimes it can seem too big to even know where to start. But trust me, my little email geeks, it is do-able. The hardest part is starting - so it's best to focus on the six principles in the regulation:
- the processing of data is done lawfully and fairly
- data is collected for explicit legitimate purposes
- making sure the data is adequate, accurate, and
- retained for only as long as necessary.
- processed in a manner that maintains the integrity and confidentiality of the personal data.