Dynamic Product ads bring product retargeting to Facebook
Importance: [rating=4] For Retailers looking to retarget their audience on Facebook
Recommended link: Facebook announcement of Dynamic Product ads
Facebook announced Product Ads this week. Here's an example to show why they're dynamic:
In their post announcing product ads, they explain:
“Product ads, a solution designed to help businesses promote multiple products or their entire product catalog, across all the devices their customers use. With product ads, businesses can showcase more products and people on Facebook can discover more relevant products”.
So this ad option extends Custom Audiences which can already be used for targeting to reference individual products. While it’s of most interest to retailers and all of Facebooks ads show this, it does look as if manufacturers or brands could use the service too.
Given the popularity of Google's PLAs this is likely to be a popular ad option amongst retailers.
What marketers need to know about Dynamic Product Ads.
- 1. Availability. Product ads will not be available in Power Editor for “several weeks”, but are available via partners now, for example via Criteo, who already offer retargeting for retailers where they serve product ads where people have browsed a product or category on their site.
- 2. Setting up retargeting. Ads are triggered after customers have viewed a product on a website or in a mobile app using the Facebook Custom Audiences advertising pixel as explained in this guide to setting up Dynamic Product Ads.
- 3. Catalogue uploaded for products to display. Ads are populated by uploading a product catalogue.
- 4. Ads then automatically displayed in a standard format. The example ad Facebook gives shows how merchandising like couponing and discounts can be promoted.
- 5. Cross-platform retargeting possible. A benefit of these ads is that they are cross-device, Facebook say you can Reach people with ads on any device they use, regardless of their original touchpoint for your business.