SEO strategy audit checklist
Use our detailed, 50 point checklist for a SEO comprehensive review giving recommendations to improve your organic traffic
What's included in the SEO strategy audit
We've made the strategy audit easy to scan and complete a quick review by prompting 50 questions to assess the effectiveness of your SEO in these categories:
- Step 1: Goals and KPIS: Auditing value of current SEO and identifying goals
- Step 2: Technical SEO: improve crawling and indexing for maximum visibility
- Step 3: On-page optimization: Review markup and copy against best practices
- Step 4: Content strategy: managing the right type of content to attract links and visitors
- Step 5: Link-building: deas to gain more quality links and review and disavow poor quality links
- Step 6: Internal linking: often a missed opportunity to improve SEO
We try to keep the jargon and buzzwords to a minimum, but they're inevitable with SEO, so we recommend using this spreadsheet checklist alongside our straightforward 7 Steps guide if you need to understand concepts.
About the author
Dr. Dave Chaffey
This audit checklist and health check was developed by Smart Insights co-founder and content director Dave Chaffey who first started helping businesses improve their SEO in 1998 and continues to advise businesses on SEO today through consulting and training. Dave has helped many companies improve their SEO from small businesses looking to improve their rankings in one country to international businesses looking to maximise their digital footprint in hundreds of markets.
Do let us know any questions or comments you have about how to best use this checklist via our community.
Who is the SEO audit checklist for?
Details are important within SEO since there are so many factors Google uses to inform its search rankings. It’s easy to get lost and miss the important factors for success.
The ‘use-case’ for this audit is for:
- Consultants, who can use the spreadsheet as a detailed checklist and then make prioritised recommendations for improvement.
- Agency or in-house SEO specialist – Who will also benefit from the using the checklist to identify spreadsheet also includes a for a higher-level review by non-specialists. This can be useful for getting buy-in to an SEO strategy from higher levels management.
Our companion 7 Steps SEO guide gives the full details of best practices covered in this audit checklist giving businesses a practical tool to manage the changes that need to be made. Our SEO playbook gives a higher-level checklist for reviewing improvements to your SEO.