Managing SEO playbook
A top-level review for managers to assess their use of the SEO factors for success in their organization
How will the playbook help me and my business?
Our playbook series of marketing templates is aimed at helping you quickly review the main activities you need to work on and get better results from different digital marketing channels. This playbook focusses on search engine optimization, giving you a 'fast start' checklist of all the factors for SEO success businesses need to get right. This helps give the top-level view with a simple list of factors to consider.
Despite all the recent focus on content marketing and social media marketing, SEO is still be a fantastic way to drive quality visitors to your web site. Some businesses and blogs, including Smart Insights, deliver well over half their traffic from organic search through their SEO mastery, or the strength of their brand. We drive almost 80% of our 400,000 monthly unique visitors from SEO!
How is the SEO playbook structured?
The concept is based on the idea of playbooks in American sports. The coach compiles a book of offensive and defensive plays to be used when their team is in specific situations or has desired results. That's just how our marketing playbooks works – we signpost essential tasks and refer you to the resources you need to complete them. With this SEO playbook, we have listed all the steps needed for a strategic review of your organic search marketing aimed at defining improvements to results. The steps are:
- Step 1: Carry out an audit and set your goals
- Step 2: Make sure the engines can find your content
- Step 3: Improve on-page optimization
- Step 4: Create awesome content for SEO
- Step 5: Use content marketing to earn more quality links
- Step 6: Refine your internal linking
- Step 7: Improve SEO through Analytics
Who is the SEO playbook for?
This playbook is aimed at anyone involved in managing SEO who needs a high-level overview of the main activities needed for successful SEO:
- Marketing, e-commerce, and digital marketing managers who need to understand and improve SEO to help review potential improvements to discuss with their in-house team, agencies or consultants, i.e. it will help marketers ask the ‘Smart questions’ to improve SEO results.
- Agencies and consultants who can use it to review their process and techniques, making sure they are aware of the last Google changes and techniques.
- Smaller businesses who can use it to boost their business with SEO without the need to invest in SEO consultants or agencies. budget owners in companies managing paid media activities either via internal specialists or external agencies.
- SEO specialists who can use it to compare against their SEO programme to identify improvements.
It’s written to be easy to understand by non-specialists, but you may need to reference the definitions and examples in our more detailed seven-step guides to understand some technical terms if you are unfamiliar with them.
This playbook has been updated with the latest SEO resources launched on Smart Insights through to October 2019. We have also included links through to our SEO Learning Path modules, which are task-based e-learning modules available to Business members.
- Author: Dave Chaffey
- Format: A checklist of 25 factors to manage for better results from SEO
- Related guide: Use this high-level summary of best practices alongside our more in-depth SEO strategy audit spreadsheet and or 7 Steps to SEO success – a comprehensive 150+ page guide simply explaining SEO examples and best practices.
About the author
Dr. Dave Chaffey
This audit checklist and health check was developed by Smart Insights co-founder and content director Dave Chaffey who first started helping businesses improve their SEO in 1998 and continues to advise businesses on SEO today through consulting and training. Dave has helped many companies improve their SEO from small businesses looking to improve their rankings in one country to international businesses looking to maximise their digital footprint in hundreds of markets.
For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
Access this resource now
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 7 other guides in the Search engine optimisation (SEO) Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?