Marketing campaign plan template
A marketing campaign planning template that you can modify to best suit your campaigns
How will the planning template help me and my business?
Across the years we have worked with many businesses, large and small, creating campaigns and reviewing their marketing campaign planning. This template brings together all the components needed.
We've designed this template to help marketers manage marketing campaigns more effectively - to help get the campaign plan right first time by increasing understanding between the person briefing the campaign and those completing it. The template is intended to help companies:
- 1. Set clearer goals and track them more clearly through analytics
- 2. Define target audiences more clearly
- 3. Develop a clearer message hierarchy
- 4. Review and select the right types of media for your campaign
- 5. Improve campaign integration between digital and non-digital channels
Who is it for?
This campaign planning template is designed for:
- Client side marketers who use it for planning campaigns they run in-house or for briefing agencies.
- Agencies and consultants who use it to review their approaches to running campaigns and give to clients for briefing.
It's aimed at helping you create integrated inbound marketing campaigns with digital marketing at their heart for maximising campaign reach, interaction, response and ROI. The template can be used either for the digital parts of campaigns or an integrated marketing campaign plan.
What does the template cover?
The marketing campaign planning template is in Word format so that you can modify it to best suit your marketing campaigns. It’s not a blank template, instead it will step you through all the questions you need to ask to tightly define the campaign. There is is one side A4 “Quick brief” summary or if preferred a more detailed brief can be developed. This integrated campaign plan is aimed at creating a modern, inbound marketing campaign applying the the Smart Insights RACE planning approach to maximize leads and revenue from the campaign. The stages of marketing campaigns and key issues covered are:
- 1. Campaign goals and tracking. What are we trying to achieve through our campaign and how will we know when we achieve it?
- 2. Target audience, customer insight and targeting. Who are we trying to reach and influence?
- 3. Key campaign messages and offers. How are we trying to position our company, products and services? Which campaign or product offers will engage and convert our audience?
- 4. Campaign media plan and budget. Which media channels will you use to reach and influence your target audience? What will be the sequence and integration of media activities?
- 5. Campaign asset production. Managing the assets to form the campaign.
- 6. Campaign execution. What needs to be tested before the campaign is live and adjusted during the campaign? The template also links to more detailed advice in our other guides on areas like targeting and campaign tracking through analytics.
- Authors: Dan Bosomworth and Dave Chaffey
- Format: Unformatted Word document for you to add to with 1 page “Quick campaign summary” and a more detailed 4-5 page plan
- Related resources: Our Integrated Marketing Campaign Planning guide works alongside this template. Excel timeline for campaign scheduling template and Excel editorial / content planning template.
About the author
Dave is co-CEO and co-founder of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100+ templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources used by our members in more than 100 countries to Plan, Manage and Optimize their digital marketing.
For my full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
Individual or Business members get full access to this and 10 other guides in the Marketing Campaign Planning Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?
Login here Look Inside