Email marketing report template
Report on the effectiveness of your email campaigns and learn which messages are helping you achieve your goals
How will this report template help me and my business?
Email marketing is one of the most popular digital marketing channels, which means that:
- It’s a proven method of effectively communicating with your customers
- Those same customers receive hundreds of emails a week from brands vying for their attention
- It’s important to review the contribution of digital marketing to maintain or improve its effectiveness
Effective reporting on your email marketing campaigns is essential if you want to cut through the noise and keep your customers engaged. Through accurate reporting, you can learn your average open and click-through rates, assess the impact on website conversions ‘beyond the click’, understand how well different types of email perform, discover which times are most effective for your customers, and create longer-term growth and engagement from your email list.
We’ve created this PowerPoint template for you to use when creating your own monthly, quarterly or annual email marketing reports for your business. On the main slide sections, we’ve included examples so you know what to cover and how to provide detailed qualitative and quantitative results in your report. Each slide’s notes section contains information on why the main slide has been composed and the methodology for gathering the same information yourself.
It goes beyond the reporting provided by your email system to compare email performance over time using Google Analytics.
Who is the template for?
This template has been created for marketers tasked with monitoring and reporting email marketing performance to senior stakeholders and other members of their team. This report template is also useful for agency executives and managers who are reporting to clients.
How is this template structured?
Our email marketing report template uses the following structure:
- Email performance summary – summary of changes and actions
- Email referrals MoM and YoY
- Goal performance MoM and YoY
- Identifying peaks in activity
- Email performance summary
- Email subscriber list health
- Short-term engagement
- Long-term email engagement summary
At the bottom of each slide we have used the notes section to explain why the information should be included in the report and how you can can access the same information for your business email reports.
- Author: Dr. Dave Chaffey and James Story
- Format: Downloadable PowerPoint document
- Related resources:
- Email marketing strategy guide: Read our 7-step guide to get a comprehensive look at how to make the most of your email campaigns.
- Email sequence contact strategy template: Design a winning email sequence with our simple template.
- Email marketing campaign calculator: Track your budget allocation across several campaigns with this easy-to-use calculator.
About the authors
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-founder and content director of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100 templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources are used by our premium members in more than 120 countries to plan, manage and optimize their digital marketing.
For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
James Story is Senior Content Manager for Lead Tech, a financial lead generation company providing high-quality leads for financial advisers and financial advice firms. He is a University of Leeds graduate and has spent over five years creating content for online PR, SEO, and digital marketing activities.