Social media marketing audit template
Audit your social media marketing with our guided template, complete with worked example
How will this social media audit template help me and my business?
Every successful marketing strategy starts with a detailed audit. After all, how are you supposed to improve if you don't know how well you're currently doing? This is especially true when formulating a social media strategy. The fast-paced nature of social platforms means that you constantly need to review your performance and optimize your posts if you want to become a thought leader in your industry.
Managing social media updates as part of content marketing activities takes time. You want to make sure you are focusing in the right places and getting the returns on your investment. That's why our Word Doc social media audit template helps you review the effectiveness of your own social media activities, or for your clients. There's also a full example report included using a fictitious company who are looking for more clients in their sector.
The template includes both blank pages and tables in a workbook format that you can complete, followed by a worked example.
Who is this social media audit template for?
This audit template has been created for all digital marketers who are involved in creating a social media strategy for either their own company or a client and will be involved in that strategy's implementation. This includes entry-level executives and social media specialists, all the way up to social media managers who can use the audit to pitch a strategy to senior stakeholders.
How is the audit structured?
The template is structured using the Smart Insights RACE Growth framework of Opportunity > Strategy > Action which gives a simple structure to help you create your plan.
The audit template includes:
- The main audit template, with blank tables for you to fill in
- An example of how a fictitious company - Health Recruitment Ltd. - would complete the template when auditing their company's social media
We recommend using the social media audit template to conduct top-level analysis that can be presented in a concise format. The example audit can be used to help gauge how you can use the template to apply to your business, and see how practically you can implement the audit and its findings in your marketing strategy.
The audit includes:
A template for you to complete - with advice to guide you - structured around our RACE Growth OSA framework:
- Opportunity: Review your channel performance, competitor benchmarking, governance etc.
- Strategy: Define key objectives, structured around RACE (Reach, Act, Convert, Engage)
- Action: Determine what tactics you will use, integration with brand style/tone of voice, and plan social selling and listening actions
At the end of the blank template, we have also included:
- An example of a completed audit by fictitious company: Health Recruitment Ltd
This template has been updated in our RACE Growth Process OSA (Opportunity, Strategy, Action) framework to improve usability and integration with your marketing strategy. It has also been redesigned so that the template and example audit are all within one document for ease of use. An instructional page has also been written for the audit template to guide you through each section if you are only completing a top-level audit of your social profiles.
- Author: Miriam Shaviv. Updates provided by Dr Dave Chaffey.
- Format: A downloadable Word Doc
- Related resources:
- We recommend you use this audit alongside our example social media plan template as well as our Social Media Learning Path.
- Techniques for measurement of ROI for social media are covered in our module on evaluating content marketing ROI.
About the author
Miriam Shaviv is Director of content at Brainstorm Digital who is active in creating and managing social media strategies for B2B and B2C clients. Connect to her LinkedIn.
Access this resource now
All Paid memberships have full access to this and 12 other guides in the Social media marketing Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an paid member?