10 business-limiting SEO mistakes
The search engine optimization (SEO) mistakes to avoid and what to do instead
How will this guide help me and my business?
Not paying attention to SEO can harm your business revenues and growth. Google’s engineers have said there are at least 200 ‘ranking signals’ that affect whether you can rank above your competitors or not. To make SEO even more challenging, many of them change frequently in Google’s algorithm updates.
Suffice to say, it can be really tough knowing what matters in SEO and what doesn’t. To help you, we’re going to show you some really common mistakes we have seen again and again as we have worked on SEO consulting and training projects.
We think SEO isn’t just for SEO specialists – all ‘hands-on’ marketers need to understand the main factors so they can ask the tough questions of SEO specialists and agencies. We hope this guide helps you do just that.
Make no mistake, if you don't take control of your own SEO destiny you will be limiting your potential to grow your business compared to competitors who are more SEO savvy.
Who is this guide for?
This guide has been written for marketers of all levels, from students and entry-level employees wanting to increase their knowledge to experienced marketers who want to broaden their knowledge into the world of SEO.
How is the guide structured?
This guide introduces and provides solutions for the 10 most common mistakes we’ve seen companies make in their SEO work. The mistakes covered in this guide are:
- Insufficient keyword research
- Limited measurement of organic search
- Failing to exploit the ever-evolving SERPs features
- Lack of knowledge of the search engine rankings factors that REALLY matter
- Limited technical SEO knowledge or tools
- Insufficient unique quality content
- Weak external link-building strategies
- Internal linking is not exploited
- Poor content marketing and/or editorial strategy
- Not keeping up with the latest trends and changes
- Author: Gavin Llewellyn
- Format: Online long form article
- Related resources:
- Successful SEO – After you’ve read about what mistakes you should avoid, you can increase your knowledge with our comprehensive guide to everything SEO.
- Google Analytics Fast Start – SEO isn’t the only thing we’ve seen businesses struggle with! Get your Google Analytics set up right by reading our free Fast Start guide to ensure all your website’s important metrics and KPIs are being tracked accurately.
About the author
Gavin Llewellyn is an independent consultant who has worked in different marketing manager roles where he has been responsible for SEO including financial services, consumer brands and retail.
He is a Chartered Marketer who specialises in digital marketing with a focus on SEO, Social media marketing and online strategy. Gavin blogs at One Too Many Mornings where he offers advice, guidance and ideas on how individuals and companies can use digital marketing effectively to get found online, build engagement and generate conversion.
You can Follow Gavin on Twitter and Google+.