Editorial calendar spreadsheet
Use our Excel editorial calendar to plan your campaigns and content schedule
How will this content planning template help me and my business?
The pressures to publish engaging, timely content have never been higher, yet managing the workflow for this is really challenging. As we explain in our 7 Steps to Content marketing strategy guide, an editorial calendar is essential to help develop a plan to create content which both engages your audience and supports your content marketing aims.
This template will give you more control over your content marketing approach to help:
- Provide consistency and quality in your content - content quality is key to making your brand engaging.
- Align the team - anyone involved in the research / creation / publishing / interaction processes for content marketing.
- Give a framework and process to plan and manage the creation of content - structure means control and less of a last-minute approach.
- Enforce accountability - specifies who does what and when?
Who is this template for?
This template is for anyone who wants more control over their content marketing approach to help provide consistency and quality in your content and align their team. It gives you a framework and process to plan and manage the creation of content. Typical users of this guide include:
- Content marketing managers and marketing campaign managers
- Marketing managers and digital marketing managers
How is this calendar spreadsheet structured?
There are different Excel worksheets showing examples and blank versions for managing your content publishing:
- Read Me – for configuring content themes and team members (if relevant)
- Operational calendar – Used for managing creation of major content assets across each quarter or a year
- Timeline calendar – Recommended – a visual view of when different content need to go live within a campaign
- Content themes calendar – A quick, simple way to schedule content for blog posts or social media updates
- Review content ideas – examples of how to brainstorm and set monthly/weekly content themes and ideas for topics
- Profile examples – how to map content to different audience profiles
- Repurposing examples for B2B – two visuals to encourage repurposing of content
The spreadsheet helps you set up content publishing for different campaigns to make it quicker to plan the resources needed for:
- Content types and hooks to engage your audience
- Managing different content themes – easily selectable by a dropdown
- Integration of content with campaigns and product launches
- Publication deadline and status
- Content editors and originators – easily selectable by a dropdown
- Format: Excel spreadsheet for you to amend to help you create your content editorial schedules
- Related recommended resources: Don’t miss our Campaign project plan / editorial timeline spreadsheet which gives a higher-level format for planning integrated campaigns
- Authors: This spreadsheet includes techniques used by these active content marketers:
About the author
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-CEO and co-founder of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100 templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources used by our premium members in more than 80 countries to Map, Plan and Manage their digital marketing.
For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
Jill Quick is a Digital Marketing Trainer and Consultant at Quick Marketing and co founder of The Coloring in Department. A candid and experienced marketer who loves to teach you not just how to “get” digital marketing in theory, but how to actually DO it.
Access this resource now
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 7 other guides in the Marketing campaign planning Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?
Login here Look Inside