Digital marketing strategy audit/healthcheck
Score and benchmark your digital marketing capabilities and prioritize improvements using our practical healthcheck audit
How will this audit help me and my business?
Do you want to know where you most need to improve your digital marketing? With so many great opportunities for deploying digital marketing, it can be difficult to know which to prioritize. In larger businesses, you will need to justify your plans to colleagues by showing clear priorities.
Start your journey to improve your digital marketing here by reviewing your activities against best practices defined in the Smart Insights RACE Planning system.
To use the spreadsheet, simply answer the questions about your digital marketing effectiveness or score your digital capability on a scale of 1 to 5 using the drop-down selection of options and a Radar diagram will be automatically created to summarise areas needing improvement.
Recommended Smart Insights templates that can be used to create the deliverables forming your strategy are highlighted throughout.
Who is this audit for?
We’ve designed this audit spreadsheet to be as flexible as possible, so it can be applied for different types of businesses and roles:
- Company directors and marketing managers – identify priorities you can direct your team and agencies to work on
- Digital marketing managers – create a prioritised roadmap of digital marketing activities and review actions as a checklist
- Agencies and consultants – use it to compare against and improve your own marketing audits and recommendations to clients
How is this spreadsheet audit structured?
The 40+ questions are grouped to assess capabilities across the Smart Insights RACE planning framework of online marketing activities to manage:
- Plan – shows what needs to be included in a digital plan.
- Reach – techniques to grow your audience and increase targeted traffic on your website
- Act and Convert – improve multichannel customer journeys and content marketing to increase conversion.
- Engage – approaches to increase long-term value of customers through social media, email and website improvements.
For each question and answers, recommendations links give an index of key Smart Insights resources you can follow-up on to improve your digital capabilities.
- Author: Dr. Dave Chaffey
- Format: Two Excel worksheets to score and chart your digital marketing capabilities to show activities you must improve
- Worksheet 1 – Audit : A detailed checklist to prioritise and action 25 key digital marketing activities in the RACE planning system
- Worksheet 2 – Healthcheck: A higher level review for quickly scoring your current strategy to identify improvements
- Related templates: Multichannel retail / Ecommerce benchmark audit
Dave Chaffey originally developed this spreadsheet when consulting to audit clients’ websites and digital communications against best practices using analytics and also collaboratively when completing workshops and interviews with digital stakeholders.
Now it’s popular with Smart Insights members for completing similar interviews with stakeholders or in a group review session, for example: between agency and client. It can also be completed quickly by a manager reviewing current weaknesses in digital marketing for a business to show the gaps and what needs to be improved.
About the author
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is content director and co-founder of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100+ templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources used by our members in more than 100 countries to Plan, Manage and Optimize their digital marketing.
For my full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.