Digital development brief
For specifying new site features for campaign landing pages or campaign enhancements
How will this template help me and my business?
Today’s websites shouldn’t be static with updates every few years. To ensure they are effective they should be dynamic with regular planned updates and tests as part of ‘always-on’ marketing. Within our 90-day planning template we recommend you identify new development initiatives every 90 days to improve the customer experience or make it persuasive.
Each website development needs to be specified for your design and development team. This template is based on our approach which our team has developed over the years based on our experience in agency and client business. It’s shared to help our members support their development activities and compare to their approach.
Without this approach, we found that often the business goals of the improvement, target audience, and KPIs to measure it weren’t fully considered. A template like this can ensure that improvements meet business needs and will ‘move the needle’.
Who is the template for?
The template is designed for those involved with implementing digital marketing strategies and plans who specify new website features, these can include both managers and execs:
- Digital marketing managers, marketing managers or project managers in a business
- Marketing and digital marketing executives or manage new site features
- Account managers and project managers in an agency or business implementing improvements for clients
How is the template structured?
The template includes these features:
- Header section with fields for campaign/project name, owner and target timescales
- Business case section with fields for goals, SMART objectives, KPIs, target audience, and position in customer journey
- Technical requirements including fields for URL strategy, tracking
- Author: Dr Dave Chaffey
- Format: Downloadable Word document template
- Related recommended resources: 90-day planning template – Stay on top of your marketing activities and keep your eyes on the big picture by using our long-term 90-day planning template.
Dr Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-founder and content director of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100 templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources are used by our premium members in more than 120 countries to plan, manage and optimize their digital marketing.
For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
Access this resource now
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 8 other guides in the Digital experience management Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?