Create a campaign plan
Create a comprehensive campaign plan to brief an agency, consultant, or internal teams
Developing an effective campaign plan can be challenging because it’s often difficult to know where to start. Structures, frameworks, and approaches differ by company and industry. Use this Quick Win to review and refresh your approach to rapidly create high-impact plans which integrate the latest digital marketing techniques.
What will I learn?
This Quick Win will teach you how to structure a campaign plan to be used to brief an agency, consultant, or internal resources.
You will learn:
- How to structure the planning activities for a campaign
- The input and outputs needed for each planning stage
- Sources of insight to inform your campaign investments
- How to set goals for, track, and evaluate your campaign
- Developing key messages to meet your goals
- How to plan your media schedule and set a budget
- Practical considerations for running the campaign
How is this Quick Win structured?
This guide is structured around our detailed campaign planning template which is a Word document and enables you to complete a detailed campaign plan.
The stages of marketing campaigns and key questions answered are:
- Campaign goals and tracking: What are you trying to achieve through your campaign and how will you know when you achieve it?
- Target audience, customer insight, and targeting: Who are you trying to reach and influence?
- Key campaign messages and offers: How are you trying to position your company, products, and services? Which campaign or product offers will engage and convert your audience?
- Campaign media plan and budget: Which media channels will you use to reach and influence your target audience? What will be the sequence and integration of media activities?
- Campaign asset production: Managing the assets to form the campaign.
- Campaign execution: What needs to be tested before the campaign is live and adjusted during the campaign? The template also links to more detailed advice in our other guides on areas like targeting and campaign tracking through analytics.
Related resources: Our Integrated Marketing Campaign Planning guide works alongside this Quick Win. You may also find our Excel timeline for campaign scheduling template and Excel editorial/content planning template useful.
About the author
Gavin Llewellyn is an independent consultant who has worked in different marketing manager roles where he has been responsible for SEO including financial services, consumer brands, and retail.
He is a Chartered Marketer who specializes in digital marketing with a focus on SEO, Social media marketing and online strategy. Gavin blogs at One Too Many Mornings where he offers advice, guidance, and ideas on how individuals and companies can use digital marketing effectively to get found online, build engagement and generate conversion.
Access this Quick Win nowLearn more
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 55 other quick wins.Already an Individual or Business member?
Create a campaign plan