360 degree content marketing audit
Increase leads and sales by accessing and improving your content with a full 360 content marketing audit
How will this Quick Win help me and my business?
Many content marketing audits are limited by just reviewing SEO or making an inventory of existing content. These are both important, but to improve your content to make it more valuable to your business AND your audience, we recommend a complete ‘360 degree’ content audit covering all aspects of content effectiveness.
What will I learn?
Our content audit helps you get more value from your content by improving each of these crucial elements of content effectiveness:
- SEO – increase rankings and technical quality of content for SEO
- Content coverage – a traditional inventory of types of content to identify new content needed
- Impact of content on leads and sales by integrating analytics and reviewing UX
- Content mapping to personas through the customer journey
- Audience opinions and feedback on content
- Quality of content for language, e.g. spelling, readability, and clarity
- Social media interactions and sharing
A content audit is the first crucial stage of improving your content marketing strategy, since you need to baseline the content types, formats and quality to evaluate how they meet your goals.
How is this Quick Win structured?
The Quick Win is split into the following sections:
- Step 1. Making the case. The ‘what’ and ‘why’ of a content marketing audit.
- Step 2. Produce a content inventory. Select the content attributes to audit.
- Step 3. Integrate analytics. Select the VQVC measures to audit effectiveness.
- Step 4. Assessing the current effectiveness of your content.
- Recommended tools. 7 types of tools to complete your audit.
Who is this guide for?
This guide is for anyone involved in content marketing responsible for making content work better for their business. It will help you if you are ‘hands-on’ with creating and improving content in a role like content marketer, content editor, SEO or social media manager.
It will also help you if you are in a management role such as a business owner, marketing and digital marketing managers. For you, it will help you understand how to assess and improve content quality and make a clear strong business case for content marketing investment in your business.
About the Authors
Dr Dave Chaffey is co-founder and Content Director at Smart Insights. He has been recognized as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have shaped the future of Marketing by the Chartered Institute of Marketing. He is the author of 4 best selling books on digital marketing. He advises companies on digital marketing strategy and implementation through training workshops and consulting delivered to large international organizations like 3M, Barclaycard, HSBC, Mercedes-Benz, Microsoft, M&G Investment, Mars and O2 to smaller companies and startups like Arco, Confused.com, Euroffice and Hornbill.
I’m active in using content audits to review and improve our organic search and conversion for content for Smart Insights and our clients, so was keen to share the techniques we use in this Quick Win.
It would be great to meet on LinkedIn, so please connect with Dave and let him know any comments or questions.
David Reilly is a Digital Skills Training, strategist and writer.
His passion is exploring future technology trends, delivering training workshops and writing about topics such as digital acquisition, content marketing, B2B marketing, strategy and what it means to thrive in the digital world. David runs the ‘Future Thinking in Digital Marketing Meetup Group’ exploring the likely impact of future technology disruptions.
Access this Quick Win nowLearn more
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 43 other quick wins.Already an Individual or Business member?
360 degree content marketing audit