Online customer acquisition guide
Create a structured plan to acquire new customers online and get ahead of your competitors
How will this guide help me and my business?
Acquisition marketing today can seem complex and daunting. The pace of change, plethora of established and evolving online channels and variety of consumer devices means lots of decisions about where to best invest your budget need to be made.
All the issues vying for your attention across SEO, social media, content marketing, online adverting and online PR can, unless you are careful, push you into the detail before you have stepped back and got a grip on the bigger picture - that's your online acquisition strategy.
This guide features a structured approach to creating an online acquisition plan by reviewing current performance; defining the right KPIs to control acquisition; creating a media and content engagement strategy; creating a zero-based budget model and reviewing attribution and tracking. It has been updated with advice for tracking and optimizing performance using Google Analytics 4 (GA4).
What does the acquisition guide cover?
The acquisition guide covers these seven steps:
- Review current acquisition effectiveness
- Set targets, objectives, and KPIs
- Acquisition strategy for audience targeting, customer journey and value propositions
- Acquisition strategy for media and content
- Model results and create acquisition budget
- Implement and manage acquisition media and content plan
- Optimize performance and review tracking
- Author: Rob Laurens
- Editor: Amelia Mayes, Smart Insights
- Format: 88 page PDF guide
- Related resources: Acquisition budget worksheet, Media attribution and modelling module
About the author
Rob Laurens is a consultant at Kaisen Digital and ex E-commerce Director at TUI Travel plc. Rob has been helping organizations successfully transition to digital-first, direct-sell business models for over 15 years. He’s worked with scores of SMEs, FTSE 100 companies and charities to define and implement the what, why and how of digital transformation. You can connect on LinkedIn.