Content ideation template
Generate new ideas to improve your content with this clear, actionable template
How will this template help me and my business?
Content marketing is a powerful technique, both to engage your audience personas and to achieve the marketing outcomes you need throughout the customer lifecycle. This template will help you to generate new ideas to improve your content assets. From improving lead magnet content to encouraging existing customers to engage, you’ll be able to unlock newfound opportunities with the help of this template.
You’ll find structures for mapping out your current use of content and then comparing it to competitors. Once you’ve done this, you’ll find guidance on conducting brainstorming workshops to develop new ideas.
Who is the template for?
This ‘hands-on’ template is designed for those actively involved in creating and implementing content marketing strategies and marketing campaigns. This may include:
- Digital marketing managers and marketing managers
- Content managers
- Marketing or digital marketing executives
- Account managers in an agency working with clients to develop their strategy
Note: If you're an Individual Member with a monthly membership, you should be aware that the templates in this resource are taken from the Digital marketing plan workbook, so to reduce the use of credits you should download that. This set of templates has been created to help simplify strategy creation in response to member feedback.
How is this template structured and used?
This download includes alternative Word and PowerPoint templates that you can modify for your business and your clients, including:
- Content marketing matrix
- ToFu, MoFu, BoFu (top, middle and bottom of funnel content review)
- Mental – content model mapping to review website effectiveness
- Examples of B2C and B2B content mapping in the PowerPoint download
How to use this template
This Word and PowerPoint template is aimed at group workshops reviewing content strategy. They’re structured as ‘gap analyses’ for different content assets and formats to review:
- Review current use of content against a framework.
- Compare to competitor use of content.
- Brainstorm new ideas.
- Prioritize ideas for content. This is based on scoring using defined criteria for each content asset, e.g. Customer value, fit with brand, potential for evergreen benefits (organic search), and time and cost to create.
- Author: Dr. Dave Chaffey
- Last updated: March 2020
- Format: Downloadable Word and PowerPoint documents
- Related resources:
- Our customer persona guide and template provides a similar 3-stage content mapping technique for each persona.
About the author
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-founder and content director of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100 templates, ebooks, and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources are used by our premium members in more than 120 countries to plan, manage and optimize their digital marketing.
For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation, and Practice. In 2004 he was recognized by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
Access this resource now
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 4 other guides in the Content marketing Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?