Digital media options cheatsheet
Review your use of the latest digital and social media options for promoting your business and stay updated with new features and platform updates
How will this guide help me and my business?
The sheer number of organic, paid media and channel-specific options and updates makes it difficult to know whether you're missing out on the best targeting options and whether your marketing budget could be better spent.
Our Digital media cheatsheet is aimed at helping Smart Insights members to keep track of the free and paid media options so that they're not missing out on any of the latest developments.
We track all the platform updates made regularly to identify the most important ones that every 'hands-on' marketer needs to be aware of to test the latest approach to improve marketing for their business.
This guide to the digital media features a section for each of the main social networks and Google, and it covers:
- The main organic and paid media options for promoting businesses on each of the main social networks and within Google (SEO and Google Ads)
- A summary of the update/release's purpose, e.g., what new features or targeting options it offers
- The date it was first launched
- Current rollout to different types of business and countries
- Links to relevant help sections on Facebook, Google and other platforms to find out more and get started using the feature
Who is this guide for?
The guide is for:
- Anyone who works with social media platforms and wants or needs to keep up to date with the latest platform updates
- Social media managers who are working day-to-day on social media platforms or on social media strategy, so they know which new features they can use in their social media campaigns
- Marketing managers who want to increase their knowledge of social media options they could include in their marketing plans
The template has separate sections showing the latest updates across all of these vital digital marketing platforms which are popular with consumers and businesses:
- Google: Organic/SEO
- Google Ads
- Google Analytics
- TikTok – NEW
This content has been given a facelift – evolving from an Excel download to a ‘live service’ on Google Sheets. This allows us to update the cheatsheet on a more frequent basis.
We have also added a new tab for guidance on recent TikTok updates and releases for 2022.
- Authors: James Story and Amelia Mayes, Smart Insights
- Format: Google Sheet with a row for each significant update for the 11 main digital marketing platforms, which you’ll find split out into tabs. You’ll find links in Column B to the further reading about the implementation details you need to know – often the navigation of the platforms can make it difficult to find the best description, so we try to help here. We also include recommended Smart Insights resources to help you further.
About the authors
James Story is Senior Content Manager for Lead Tech, a financial lead generation company providing high-quality leads for financial advisers and financial advice firms. He is a University of Leeds graduate and has spent over five years creating content for online PR, SEO, and digital marketing activities.
Amelia Mayes is Digital Content Strategist at Smart Insights. She is responsible for managing the paid member content library and e-learning resources, as well as strategic planning to ensure customers get the most from their memberships. She is a University of Southampton graduate with 7 years’ experience in digital marketing, specializing in content marketing.
Access this resource now
Individual and Business members get full access to this and 8 other guides in the Paid media Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?