Client discovery checklist
Understand your clients needs better when developing proposals for pitches or on-boarding new clients
How will the planning template help me and my business?
Discovery involves learning insights about agency or consultant customer needs, their strategic initiatives, their goals, and their outcomes. Discovery will enable you to tailor your proposal to your client's needs during the pitch process or when onboarding new clients as a preparation for starting on new marketing campaigns or web design and build projects.
This template will help you:
- Create or review your process for learning about customer needs
- Identify the right questions to ask to deliver a better solution
- Improve proposal win rates by proposing more relevant solutions
- Discover new insight sources
Who is this checklist for?
This template is aimed mainly at members of Smart Insights who work for marketing agencies or are consultants.
This guide will help you create or review your process for learning about customer needs. It will then let you identify the right questions to ask to deliver a better solution and thus improve proposal win rates by proposing more relevant solutions.
What does the client discovery checklist cover?
This Excel checklist will help you through :
- Identification of 9 key areas of insights for discovery
- Prompts to ask the right questions of clients
- Links to recommended insights sources
- Goals and objectives
- The Market
- Website data
- Content audit
- Customer audit
- Influencers in the market
- Specific media, SEO and link audits
- Additional research
About the author
Mark Kelly is a freelance digital marketing consultant working with agencies and direct clients of Mark Kelly digital consultancy. You can follow him on Twitter or connect on LinkedIn.
Excel templates for you to amend for your business
Related Resource: Companion Agency Client Discovery guide which explains a process for managing client discovery for the sections in this checklist. Brand and marketplace audit (Word)