Brand positioning template
Define your brand position and identity to create a competitive advantage
What is brand positioning?
Brand positioning involves enhancing the positive differentiation your brand offers against competitors and the perception of value in your customers’ minds. While it comprises of elements like your company name, logo, etc., successful brands incorporate positioning as part of their overall brand strategy.
How will this template help me and my business?
Brand positioning can help you leverage your unique benefits and help you take control of your reputation and how your brand is perceived. It’s a chance to really differentiate yourself from your competitors and showcase your values and brand ethos. Regardless of the size of your business, it is always worthwhile taking the time to carve out your brand position to give clarity to your communication and conversion tactics.
In this brand positioning template we help you identify your brand’s position through targeted questions and frameworks. With this information you can then decide what brand positioning strategy is best to adopt for your business.
Who is the template for?
This template was created for marketers looking to carve out their company's brand proposition. It will be useful for anyone responsible for managing customer perception or brand sentiment through their marketing role, such as marketing managers or brand specialists who are looking to optimize the marketing funnel and improve conversion or retention.
How is this template structured?
Our Brand positioning template uses the following structure:
- What is brand positioning?
- How do I identify my brand's position?
- A note on STP
- 1a. Understanding your brand
- Brand identity
- Your current brand identity: Personality
- Your current brand identity: Mission and Perception
- Create an elevator pitch
- 1b. Defining your brand
- Brand Positioning Framework - example
- Brand Positioning Framework - template
- 2. Positioning across RACE
- Integrate your positioning with brand strategy
- Positioning your brand with RACE - template
- Recommended resources
- Author: Amelia Mayes, Head of Content
- Format: PowerPoint presentation with editable templates – 20 pages
- Related resources:
- Brand audit and marketplace analysis template – A brand audit and marketplace analysis template to support creation of your marketing plans and online assets
- Brand vision and identity playbook – Step-by-step practical advice on developing a brand strategy
About the author
Amelia Mayes is Head of Content at Smart Insights. She is responsible for managing the paid member content library and e-learning resources, as well as strategic planning to ensure customers get the most from their memberships. She is a University of Southampton and the Chartered Institute of Marketing graduate with over 7 years’ experience in digital marketing, specializing in content marketing.
Access this resource now
Starter and Pro members get full access to this and other resources in the Marketing strategy and planning Toolkit.Membership options Already a Starter/Pro member? Login here