Latest digital media updates tracker
Stay up to date with the many feature changes and releases by the most popular digital and social platforms
How will this guide help me and my business?
The sheer number of organic, paid media and channel-specific options and updates makes it difficult to know whether you're missing out on the best targeting options and whether your marketing budget could be better spent.
Our Latest digital media updates tracker is aimed at helping Smart Insights members to keep track of the free and paid media updates and developments so that they're not missing out on any of the latest changes.
We track all the platform updates made regularly to identify the most important ones that every 'hands-on' marketer needs to be aware of to test the latest approach to improve marketing for their business.
This guide to the latest digital media updates features a section for each of the main social networks and Google, and it covers:
- The main organic and paid media options for promoting businesses on each of the main social networks and within Google (SEO and Google Ads)
- A summary of the update/release's purpose, e.g., what new features or targeting options it offers
- The date it was first launched
- Current rollout to different types of business and countries
- Links to relevant help sections on Facebook, Google and other platforms to find out more and get started using the feature
Who is this guide for?
The guide is for:
- Anyone who works with social media platforms and wants or needs to keep up to date with the latest platform updates
- Social media managers who are working day-to-day on social media platforms or on social media strategy, so they know which new features they can use in their social media campaigns
- Marketing managers who want to increase their knowledge of social media options they could include in their marketing plans
The template has separate sections showing the latest updates across all of these vital digital marketing platforms which are popular with consumers and businesses:
- Google: Organic/SEO
- Google Ads
- Google Analytics
- Threads – NEW
- Twitter / X
This resource is updated bi-annually, and from 2023 will be updated every quarter to bring you the most useful, relevant information across the most popular digital platforms.
In 2023 we added Threads to the update list, and will continue to add relevant information for this channel (and all channels).
- Author: Amelia Mayes, Smart Insights
- Format: Google Sheet with a row for each significant update for the 12 main digital marketing platforms, which you’ll find split out into tabs. You’ll find links in Column B to the further reading about the implementation details you need to know – often the navigation of the platforms can make it difficult to find the best description, so we try to help here. We also include recommended Smart Insights resources to help you further.
About the authors
Amelia Cooper is Head of Content at Smart Insights. She is responsible for managing the paid member content library and e-learning resources, as well as strategic planning to ensure customers get the most from their memberships. She is a University of Southampton and the Chartered Institute of Marketing graduate with over 7 years’ experience in digital marketing, specializing in content marketing.