Why the list?
Many marketers on Twitter are still relatively new to it, and like me have the challenge of needing to keep up-to-date across the whole of digital marketing.
So, I wrote this post at the start of 2009 to show who I think is really worthwhile following, i.e. there is a good signal to noise ratio focusing on insights which help me learn about the latest developments or best practice. I’ve updated it in 2010 to include others I now regularly follow.
My recommendations on who to follow are categorised across all the the different areas of online marketing shown in the diagram below based on who I have found useful to follow to keep me up-to-date, advance my knowledge. Generally I have just included real people rather than publishers or information sites that just push updates and don’t interact.
I hope you find my tweets useful too! – I try to act as a filter for marketers who don’t have so much time to spend in Twitter themselves to find the useful updates on digital marketing tips, tools, techniques and announcements. That’s where I try to concentrate my Tweets.
In this latest update I have also included the relevant section in the Twitter user directory Wefollow – this will give you some ideas, but I find it ‘hit and miss’ – most of the Internet marketers I follow don’t feature highly on these lists eventhough they are well known from books, blogs, conferences, etc. Maybe they are spending time working.
But I’m sure I’ll be missing some useful specialists, so if you know someone you think will help me and others in keeping up-to-date, please let us know in the comments or through an @DaveChaffey message in Twitter. Alternatively check out this longer (100+) list of best digital marketers to follow on Twitter from Geno Prussakov
Skip straight to the categories of the best digital marketers to follow on Twitter
- General digital marketing and strategy
- E-commerce and E-retail
- Conversion and customer engagement
- Web analytics
- Website design
- Copywriting and blogging
- 1. SEM (SEO & PPC)
- 2. Online PR and social media
- 3. Online partnerships (including affiliate marketing)
- 4. Online advertising
- 5. Email marketing
- 6. Viral marketing
What is the scope of digital marketing?
It’s massive! The whole of marketing, online.
While many agencies and consultants operate in just one area, like search or email marketing, many client-side marketers and account managers at agencies need to know keep up-to-date across the whole of digital marketing
Since I consult, train or write across all of digital marketing, I also need to keep my life challenging by keeping up-to-date on all techniques in digital marketing that make a difference.
So there are lot’s of specialists I like to keep up-to-date through about what’s happening in search, email marketing, online PR, web design and conversion optimization, affiliate
Criteria for inclusion in my list
I follow a range of digital consultants, publications, agencies and vendors who tweet practical tips, examples and the latest developments.
That means I’ve missed many experts whose noise to signal ratio is too high for me, plus many publications who don’t use Twitterfeed to syndicate their RSS – like many I spend a lot less time in my feed reader these days.
So finally, the list:
Who to follow in digital marketing
- AshleyFriedlein / Ashley Friedlein - my colleague, the CEO of @EConsultancy
- toodlepip / Sam Michel – CEO of @chinwag
- ducttape / John Jantsch mainly for SMEs
- mbites / Mike Butcher of TechCrunch for online startups/innovation. Also lakey / Chris Lake
- steverubel / Steve Rubel
- andybeal / Andy Beal of Marketing Pilgrim
Of course, Seth Godin’s blog is worth following for all marketers, but Seth doesn’t “do Twitter”.
- View Twitter Wefollow Internet marketing category and Digital marketing category
- For completeness here are the top marketers to follow on Twitter according to Wefollow
- etail / Internet Retailing (UK trade magazine)
- US http://www.internetretailer.com/ not on Twitter?
- Roxyyo / Linda Bustos and jbillingsley / Jason Billingsley (formerly) of vendor Elastic Path
- TheGrok / Bryan Eisenberg
- jonathanmendez / JonathanMendez
- richardsedley / Richard Sedley
- anilbatra / Anil Batra
- chiefmartec / Scott Brinker
I know this area well since you can’t get anywhere with digital marketing unless you don’t test, measure and optimize.
- erictpeterson / Eric Peterson
- jimsterne / Jim Sterne
- immeria / Stephane Hamel
- jimnovo / Jim Novo
- jonnylongden / For me, Jonny has the best compilation of tips, tools and announcements – really useful
- googleanalytics / Google Analytics blog
- View Twitter Wefollow Web Analytics category
Jakob Nielsen of Useit.com isn’t active on Twitter, but two of the main source I follow are:
These guys know a thing about online PR too – amongst the most popular on this list:
My friend and colleague Jonathan Gabay is also worth following via his Brand Forensics blog.
Who to follow in digital media
In my books we breakdown digital media to grow Reach and audience into six – these are the influencers in each:
One of my specialist areas, so quite a few here:
- sengineland / Search Engine Land
- mattcutts / Matt Cutts
- dannysullivan / Danny Sullivan
- AndrewGirdwood / Andrew Girdwood
- seoptimise / SEOptimise
- tamar / Tamar
- icrossing / iCrossing
- susanhallam / Susan Hallam
- patrickaltoft / Patrick Altoft
- leeodden / Lee Odden
- View Twitter Wefollow SEO category
So many, to chose from! Social media experts have been around on Twitter from the beginning. So I’ll be selective
Thanks Phil at theredrocket.co.uk for recommending PR blogger’s similar list for the UK PR industry
“€¦which got loads of people asking to be added, so it morphed into a useful wiki on the subject
Not so active in affiliate marketing so thanks to @djbarker for recommendations. Have picked out those with the best signal for my preferences.
See also A4U Forum list of affiliate marketers to follow
- eprussakov Geno Prussakov author of one of the best books on affiliate marketing and the excellent AM Navigator blog
- affiliatetip / Shawn Collins well-known US affiliate
- onelittleduck / Jason Dale of Loquax
- affiliatedoctors / affiliatedoctors – keeps in touch with most well-known UK affiliates – a lot of banter amongst these guys – nice community
- clarkeduncan / Clarke Duncan of Paid on Results has interesting snippets on developments in affiliate marketing
Oops I’m missing anything here although I’m a member of IAB. Any thoughts?
Ogilvy have recommended their www.twitter.com/ogilvy which syndicates their blog postings across all media including advertising. WPP tweet next to nothing
5. Email marketing
Quite an active community here, another of my specialisms:
- RetailEmailBlog / Chad White
- LorenMcDonald / Loren McDonald
- Bronto / Bronto Software
- tamaragielen / Tamara Gielen
- denisecox / denise cox
- View Twitter Wefollow Email Marketing category
6. Viral marketing (and social media)
See Online PR.