off Individual Membership
every year you're a member with us
Hurry our offer ends in
New Individual Annual and Monthly members only. Valid until 30th April 2017. This offer is available for the lifespan of your membership, if you choose to cancel your membership this offer will end.
This research report from Quantcast is particularly interesting, especially given their specialist expertise in the display advertising category.
As effective as search advertising is, Quantcast suggest (and logic dictates) that a singular focus on this approach can only lead to missed opportunities. This is because less than 4 percent of consumers’ online time, less than 3 minutes in an hour, is spent on search. The other 96 percent is spent doing things like reading email, browsing content, watching videos and engaging in social networks.
If you look horizontally at the table below you can see that the clicker profiles look different from those of actual converters for both campaigns. Whereas when you’re looking vertically you see that clicker profiles are similar, regardless of the category.
On top of this Quantcast also stress the people are generally clicking less and less on ads, heavy clickers are now just 4 percent of users from 6 percent 2 years ago. Yet clicks remain a significant digital marketing metric.
The take-away is obvious, I’d hope. Despite the click profiles being the same, display ad clickers are NOT converters, or at least not immediately anyway…
Your objective, I’d expect, is a conversion of some sort - the click is a useful but arbitrary KPI, in-between views and conversion, right?
So rather than being click focussed, Quantcast suggest that you view the campaign through a different lens and optimise your display campaign using the four steps below as a guide:
It’s important to keep the consumer front and centre, you’re optimising for someone to eventually do something, keeping a human eye on this is crucial. So much media buying makes the human side abstract, numbers over common sense. Of course we want to be driven by data - it’s simply down to the questions that you ask of that data though, isn’t it?
By Danyl Bosomworth
Dan helped to co-found Smart Insights in 2010 and acted as Marketing Director until leaving in November 2014 to focus on his other role as Managing Director of First 10 Digital. His experience spans brand development and digital marketing, with roles both agency and client side for nearly 20 years. Creative, passionate and focussed, his goal is on commercial success whilst increasing brand equity through effective integration and remembering that marketing is about real people. Dan's interests and recent experience span digital strategy, social media, and eCRM. You can learn more about Dan's background here Linked In.
Start the discussion on our community and social networks
Recommended Blog Posts
Simple recipes and tips to get you started with your Marketing Automation Are you still sending out blanket e-shot campaigns to large, anonymous lists? The latest research from the Smart Insights – GetResponse Email Marketing and Marketing Excellence research 2017 shows …..
Live chat, video and product finders can help you massively boost your conversion rate If you suddenly discovered you had superpowers, you’d use them, right? Of course you would! (and hopefully in a socially beneficial way). Well, I recently discovered …..
Popular Blog Posts
Statistics on consumer mobile usage and adoption to inform your mobile marketing strategy mobile site design and app development “Mobile to overtake fixed Internet access by 2014” was the huge headline summarising the bold prediction from 2008 by Mary Meeker, an …..
Landing page examples and best practice advice Discussion of web design in companies who don’t know the power of landing pages still often focuses on the home page. But savvy companies know that custom landing pages are essential to maximise conversion …..
Amazon’s business strategy and revenue model: A history and 2014 update I’ve used Amazon as a case study in my books for over 10 years now since I think all types of businesses can learn from their digital business strategy. From startups …..