Tools to determine target keywords are well-established. But new tools – see Market Potential / Market Demand Tools – provide a lot more analysis of market potential or customer demand for products than the established software/systems. Many of these query the excellent Google research database available direct from Google as the Googlr Keyword Tool or Google Insights for Search.
This list is an update to my established SEO keyphrase analysis tools list on my old site, which I’m gradually migrating to this site.
For ideas on using these analysis tools – see this series on Keyphrase analysis by James Gurd.
Most popular keyphrase analysis tools
The best known and longest established keyword tools are:
- Google Keyword Planner – Formerly the Google Keyword Tool
- Google Trends – good for geographic variation and time series
- UberSuggest – Excellent tool for international evaluation
- Word Tracker US and UK versions available
- Keyword Discovery US and UK versions available
- Google Analytics SEO: Queries tool and Google Webmaster Tools Search Queries
Market Potential / Market Demand Tools
These are the newcomers to the field and often offer more sophistication in estimating the customer demand in terms of volume and types of searches.
- Market Samurai Integrates data from several sources including Google, Microsoft and Yahoo! to find out potential market size. Impressive.
- Keyword Examiner Windows-only Tool using Google Keywords database. Useful in that finds true competition based on quotes, title, backlinks.
- Hitwise is powerful for its keyphrase analysis and competitor benchmarking tools. It’s use is restricted to larger organisations, but I have found that agency/consultant access can be arranged as I have done on several occasions.
Keyphrase behaviour visualisation
- Concentrate Good for analysis analysis of search behaviour including long-tail keyphrases. Juice Analytics also have an excellent free tool if you log-in to Google Analytics – theKeyword Tree for visualising search behaviour – combinations of keyphrases. Description of two analytics visualisations.
- Wordstream Another new tool for Keyphrase analysis brought to my attention by Bill Hunt. I’m not clear what it’s differentiating features are?
Rank tracking tools for SEO
- SEO Rank Monitor Ranking Tool launched in November 2009. Combines rank tracking of your keyword groups against competitors combined with access to your Google Analytics with the Google API. Read good review at Yoast.com
- 5 SEO focused webanalytics tools 2 of these tools listed by Blogstorm are also useful for rank tracking
Other Google Tools
Google has a series of other tools which show seasonality in demand. Market Samurai uses many of these:
- Google Insights for Search Great for regional analysis and particularly useful for “Hot Trends”
- Google Trends Seasonal Trends
- Google Search-based Keyword Tool Good for gap analysis against advertised keywords in Google AdWords
- Full compilation of Google Tools for Agencies The Agency Toolkit