"Need-to-know" changes in July 2012
In this “fat-free” round-up we update you to what we see as the biggest changes from the last month in the world of digital marketing. You’ll certainly know some, if not most already, but we hope it will be worth scanning to see whether you missed anything which could affect the way you approach marketing in future.
These alerts are mainly changes on the platforms like Facebook and Google which are so important to digital marketing, but we also include a selection of our most popular briefings on best practice in managing and planning marketing.
I thought the biggest news this month was the announcement of availability of Google Glass and the new gestural interfaces we cover in the UX section below. Is this what we'll be seeing out of our window this time next year?
Strategy and planning
- Altimeter have a new report on converged media - we updated our guide to include different viewpoints on paid, owned and earned media
- The State of Marketing 2012 - a summary of this IBM report to help “share the pain”
- New listing of top UK agencies - The annual New Media Age – Top 100 Interactive Agencies 2012 was released
Social media marketing
- Facebook changes reach metric - Marketing Pilgrim highlighted how Facebook changed the way it shows how many people read brand status updates on Facebook.
- Actively discussed on Google+ Now Showing in Search Results - SearchEngineLand flagged-up how Google+ is increasing its presence in the search results pages.
- The Power of Like Europe - A new report from Comscore showing the influence Facebook has on brands
- Google Product Search becomes Google Shopping - Google is putting more emphasis on this service you may remember as Froogle and will be charging retailers for it soon
- Limited changes to Google algorithms in June - The SEOmoz change history reported a minor update to Panda and a confusing new batch of link warnings.
User experience and conversion optimisation
- Google Glass prices and availability announced - not many will be buying at $1,500 a pop, but they will be shipping in 2013. If you're not one of the 17 million who have seen the video of what you'll get, it's here.
- Minority Report Tech nearly here - MIT Tech describes this as "the most important new technology since the smartphone - expected December 2012.
- Changes in Google Analytics in July 2012 - there have been a lot of changes to GA in July which we summarise here.
Email marketing and CRM
- A state-of-the-art email marketing template - this new London Olympics template shows nicely the features of targeting, dynamic targeting and a nice accessible visual design.
Well that’s how we see it - let us know if you think we missed anything BIG.