Customise Google Analytics for your business
- Author: Dave Chaffey
- Format: Unbranded blank Word template Use to review setup for your business or to audit your clients
- Last updated: Autumn 2013
- Related content: We recommend this in-depth spreadsheet on using Google Analytics for Ecommerce for more detailed advice on Google Analytics customisation. Step 1 in our Guide to Google Analytics reviews all the customisations possible.
How will this Google Analytics audit template help me?
Many, many companies have Google Analytics tags setup on their sites, but in our experience, Google Analytics is often not setup correctly. To get the most from Google Analytics it must be tailored to the organisation to reflect what the company wants to get from it. Customisation is needed to set up goals, funnels, events, custom variables and reports to help the business regularly review and improve its performance.
- Reviews 15 key areas of Google Analytics setup – check what you’re missing
- Produce a report showing improvements needed for customisation to measure
- Should be used together with Step 1 in our 7 Steps to Google Analytics Ebook which provides further background
- Is written by Dave Chaffey, a digital strategist who has the Google Analytics Individual Qualification
- Recommends the best Google Chrome extensions to help you review current analytics setup
What does the template include?
Setup of Google Analytics is simplified into 16 key areas in an 8 page report including:
- Type of tagging – Classic Google Analytics and the new Universal Analytics
- Goals and funnels
- Marketing events
- Marketing campaign tracking (including email marketing and social media marketing)
- Custom segments
- Ecommerce setup
You can access this advice if you are a Smart Insights Expert-level member.
Smart Insights Expert Members get "at your desk access" to in-depth advice to improve their online marketing skills and capabilities:
- In-depth Ebooks
- Online training
- How to
- Marketing templates