Use our Excel editorial calendar to plan your campaigns and updates
- Authors: Dave Chaffey and Chris Soames
- Last updated: April 2013
- Format: Excel spreadsheet with Operational and planning calendars
How will the planning template help me and my business?
The pressures to publish engaging, timely content have never been higher, yet managing the workflow for this is really challenging. As we explain in our 7 Steps to Content marketing Ebook, an editorial calendar is essential to help develop a plan to create content which both engages your audience and supports your content marketing aims.
This template will give you more control over your content marketing approach to help:
- Provide consistency and quality in your content – content quality is key to making your brand engaging.
- Align the team – anyone involved in the research / creation / publishing / interaction processes for content marketing.
- Give a framework and process to plan and manage the creation of content – structure means control and less of a last-minute approach.
- Enforce accountability – specifies who does what and when?
How is the calendar spreadsheet structured?
There are three alternative Excel worksheets for managing content publishing:
- Operational calendar – Used for creating major content assets across a quarters or a year
- Timeline calendar – A visual view of when different content need to go live for different campaigns
- Social media themes – A quicker, simpler way to schedule content for blog posts or social media updates
The spreadsheet helps you set up content publishing for different campaigns to make it quicker to plan the resources needed for:
- Content types and hooks
- Managing different content themes – easily selectable by a dropdown
- Integration of content with campaigns and product launches
- Publication deadline and status
- Content editors and originators - easily selectable by a dropdown
What our members say about the Editorial calendar spreadsheet
Smart Insights has helped us take the right decision on a variety of occasions and we actively use its content to justify our marketing initiatives and spend.
Joao da Costa, Marketing Officer at Southbank International School
We are at the early stages of our digital marketing journey, Smart Insights templates and tutorials help us check and learn as we go.
Stuart Sykes, Digital Marketing Manager
Smart Insights is one of the best digital 'tools' on the internet today. It has been a great asset as a channel of advice and insight, helping me to deliver an all-encompassing digital strategy.
Jennifer Law, E-Communications Manager, National Pharmacy Association
You can access this advice if you are a Smart Insights Expert-level member.
Smart Insights Expert Members get "at your desk access" to in-depth advice to improve their online marketing skills and capabilities:
- In-depth Ebooks
- Online training
- How to
- Marketing templates