Use our Excel editorial calendar to plan your campaigns and updates
- Authors: Dave Chaffey, Chris Soames and Jill Quick
- Last updated: January 2014 – showing how to cascade content themes from annual to weekly and repurpose content within a campaign
- Format: Excel spreadsheet with planning and operational calendars for managing and integrating content, social media and email marketing
How will the planning template help me and my business?
The pressures to publish engaging, timely content have never been higher, yet managing the workflow for this is really challenging. As we explain in our 7 Steps to Content marketing strategy ebook and Managing Content Marketing Guide, an editorial calendar is essential to help develop a plan to create content which both engages your audience and supports your content marketing aims.
This template will give you more control over your content marketing approach to help:
- Provide consistency and quality in your content – content quality is key to making your brand engaging.
- Align the team – anyone involved in the research / creation / publishing / interaction processes for content marketing.
- Give a framework and process to plan and manage the creation of content – structure means control and less of a last-minute approach.
- Enforce accountability – specifies who does what and when?
How is the calendar spreadsheet structured?
There are different Excel worksheets showing examples and blank versions for managing your content publishing:
- Operational calendar – Used for managing creation of major content assets across a quarters or a year
- Timeline calendar – Recommended – a visual view of when different content need to go live within a campaign
- Content themes calendar – A quicker, simpler way to schedule content for blog posts or social media updates
The spreadsheet helps you set up content publishing for different campaigns to make it quicker to plan the resources needed for:
- Content types and hooks
- Managing different content themes – easily selectable by a dropdown
- Integration of content with campaigns and product launches
- Publication deadline and status
- Content editors and originators - easily selectable by a dropdown
You can access this advice if you are a Smart Insights Expert-level member.
Smart Insights Expert Members get "at your desk access" to in-depth advice to improve their online marketing skills and capabilities:
- In-depth Ebooks
- Online training
- How to
- Marketing templates