Digital Marketing Goal Setting, Evaluation and Optimization Guide
A manager's guide to selecting the right measures, KPIs and goals to improve digital marketing
What does the guide include?
The 7 steps covered in this Ebook are:
- Step 1 Review your top level goals - Understanding the difference between goals, objective and KPIs and how you need to relate them; using the 5S s of digital marketing to set top-level goals.
- Step 2 Define your vision for digital - Many businesses don’t have a long-term vision for how digital channels will develop their brand. A clear vision, linked to goals is also important to bring your colleagues and partners with you on the journey to digital transformation
- Step 3 Align business and SMART digital objectives - since analytics systems contain so many reports and measures, it’s important to define the measures that matter as KPIs you set specific targets for and then review against.
- Step 4 Create a conversion model - A short section featuring our conversion budget model spreadsheet.
- Step 5 Define performance dashboards - We're big fans of using dashboards to help communicate and review performance, but KPIs need to be structured in a logical way. Here we review three alternative groupings with full, recommended KPI listings.
- Step 6 Setup tracking and evaluation - An introduction to customising Google Analytics to report on key marketing goals and events - explained in more detail in our guides to Google Analytics and Tag management.
- Step 7 Optimize your performance - Finally, we recommend a review process with different checkpoints through time.
How will this 7 Steps guide to Digital Marketing Optimization help me?
Although digital channels have been called the most measurable ever, they introduce a whole range of new goals and measures that can make setting objectives and reviewing performance difficult if you’re new to it. This is why we cover objective setting in more depth in this guide specifically for managers grappling with this option who are looking to get more from online channels.
We’ve devoted an entire guide to goal setting and getting results for digital marketing since we believe it’s essential to getting the most from digital channels. Without goals you’re directionless and a lot less likely to achieve commercial success.
Through setting specific targets for your online marketing and creating dashboards, you can review and adjust your progress against targets. Without goals in place you can still do digital marketing for sure, but chances are, you are not making the most of the opportunities and you’ll almost certainly be wasting your time and money.
- Author: Dave Chaffey
- Format: 43 page A4 page PDF Ebook with tables and checklists.
- Related guides : 7 Steps Google Analytics guide covering goal setup and dashboard customisations and Conversion Rate Optimisation briefing to setting up a structured testing program