Google AdWords Guide
How to get a better ROI from your Google Adwords campaigns
About this guide
Our 7 Steps guide will show you all the questions you need to ask to audit and optimise your Google AdWords account.
- Step 1: Identify and select your target keyphrases
- Step 2: Set goals for your paid search
- Step 3: Improve your campaign structure
- Step 4: Improve your targeting
- Step 5: Improving your offer and creative
- Step 6: Get your bidding and budgeting right
- Step 7: Optimising paid search to increase ROI
Who is this guide for?
The Google Adwords guide is aimed at:
- Owners and managers of small to medium sized businesses who are taking their first steps into the world of Paid Search.
- Digital Marketing managers who are responsible for delivering new sales or leads through Google Adwords
- Search Marketing Specialists involved with setting and executing a paid search strategy.
How will this guide help me?
Marketers from many companies we have met have tried using Adwords to gain more leads and customers. But sometimes they have struggled to make it work.
Our guide provides a do-it-yourself guide to review your own approach, or if you use an agency for managing Adwords, ask them the tough questions to improve their efficiency. We don’t just show you how to setup your account and explain all the features as Google does in their documentation, we show you all the key areas of your AdWords campaign setup you need to manage to get more profitable results.
Our practical, in-depth guide will show you:
- How Google has designed the Adwords system to maximise their revenue and how you can take advantage of this by improving your understanding of Quality Score
- How to increase ROI by improving your account setup, match types, bidding and creative
- Use the latest Google Ad Extensions to get an edge
- Exploit the power of the Google Display Network
- Test and review your copy to get better results
- How to troubleshoot and optimize your account using AdWords campaign reporting and Google Analytics
- Use the new mobile advertising features in AdWords
About the author
David Miles is a digital marketing consultant, trainer, and published author. For the past 13 years David has owned and run digital marketing agencies and training businesses large and small across the UK and Europe. Currently, David is the founder and CEO of The PPC Machine, a boutique agency that helps medical professionals grow their practices using pay per click advertising platforms.
Connect with David on LinkedIn.
Joel Chudleigh is the Founder of Deep Footprints who are a digital marketing agency focused on paid search and inbound marketing. They focus on helping small and medium sized businesses to grow sustainably for long-term success. You can read his latest blog updates here.
Dr. Dave Chaffey
Dave is co-CEO and co-founder of Smart Insights. He is editor of the 100 templates, ebooks and courses in the digital marketing resource library created by our team of 25+ Digital Marketing experts. Our resources used by our Expert members in more than 80 countries to Map, Plan and Manage their digital marketing.
For his full profile, or to connect on LinkedIn or other social networks, see the About Dave Chaffey profile page on Smart Insights. Dave is author of 5 bestselling books on digital marketing including Digital Marketing Excellence and Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice. In 2004 he was recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of 50 marketing ‘gurus’ worldwide who have helped shape the future of marketing.
What does the guide include?
The 7 steps we cover in the guide to get more from AdWords are:
- Step 1. Identify and select your target keyphrases
- Step 2. Set goals for your paid search
- Step 3. Improve your campaign structure
- Step 4. Improve your targeting
- Step 5. Improving your offer and creative
- Step 6. Get your bidding and budgeting right
- Step 7. Optimising paid search to increase ROI
The guide includes all the latest updates to AdWords for mobile and local marketing including Enhanced campaigns, Google Shopping ads (formerly Product Listing Ads (PLAs)) and Ad Extensions.
Individual or Business members get full access to this and 6 other guides in the Paid Media Toolkit.Learn more about membership Already an Individual or Business member?
Login here Look Inside