The best digital marketing research across marketing channels - including SEO, PPC, CRO, social, mobile, martech, email, ecommerce, and UX - to help inform your 2019 marketing strategy
Because the state of digital marketing is always evolving, it is important to keep up-to-date with the latest research in your industry, or marketing channel, to stay ahead of your competition. Yet, it can often be difficult to find the digital marketing research you need to help inform your digital strategy. We first curated these stats at close 2017. But during 2018 and 2019, we've been committed to updating this article using the best digital marketing research data sources which the team at Smart Insights have found helpful and informative throughout the year. Hopefully, this will help you too!
SEO statistics 2019
- Total site visits produced by organic search declined by about 2% in Q1 2019, down from 2% growth in Q4 2018 (Merkle, Digital Marketing Report Q1 2019).
- 61% of marketers say growing SEO/organic presence is a high inbound marketing priority (HubSpot, State of Inbound 2018).
- Ranking first on SERPs is more important than ever. On desktop rank 1 achieves an average CTR of 19.3% compared to rank 10 with 2.2% CTR. Similarly on mobile, rank 1 achieves 27.7% CTR and 2.8% for rank 10 (seoClarity, CTR study 2019).
- 46% of marketers say the August 1st 2018 update didn't affect them at all and even more surprisingly 25% of marketers didn't know what it was (Moz, The State of Local SEO Report, 2019).
- Total organic search visits produced by Google fell 2% Y/Y in Q1 2019, down from 3% growth a quarter earlier. On mobile devices, Google organic visits grew 6% Y/Y in Q1 2019, down from 12% in Q4 2018. (Merkle, Digital Marketing Report Q1 2019).
- Businesses that show up on the first page of results get 92% of consumer traffic (Joal House 2019).
- Phones accounted for over 50% of all organic search visits in Q1 2019, the first time passing that milestone (Merkle, Digital Marketing Report Q1 2019).
- Google has a 92.42% search engine market share as of April 2019 (StatCounter, 2019).
- In the past year, organic search visit share is down about a point, with paid search and social media seeing the most significant visit share gains among major channels (Merkle, Digital Marketing Report Q1 2019).
- Location intent queries brought websites ranked on 1st position the highest increase in CTR (4% on desktop and 6.32% on mobile) (Advanced Web Ranking, 2019).
PPC and CTR statistics 2017
- One-third of respondents (33%) click on a paid search ad because it directly answers their search query (Clutch, Search Engine Marketing: Why People Click on Paid Search Ads, 2019).
- Just 8% of advertisers are decreasing their advertising investments on Search this year; this compared to a whopping 46% that are increasing them (WordStream 2019)
- Businesses make an average of $2 in revenue for every $1 they spend on AdWords. (Google Economic Impact Report)
- Google display campaigns reach 80% of global internet users (Google Benchmarks and Insights)
- Google text ad spending declines increased to 12% Y/Y in Q1 2019, while Google Shopping spending growth remained robust at 41% Y/Y (Merkle, Digital Marketing Report Q1 2019)
- Click growth for search ads accelerated to 10% Y/Y, but CPC growth slowed from 7% in Q4 2018 to 4% in Q1 2019, primarily due to the mix shift to mobile where CPCs remain lower than average (Merkle, Digital Marketing Report Q1 2019).
- Nearly two-thirds of people (63%) are most likely to click on a Google search advertisement. The number of people who are most likely to click on search ads on other sites – Amazon (15%), Youtube (9%), and Bing (6%) – is less than half of the number who are most likely to click on Google search ads (Clutch, Search Engine Marketing: Why People Click on Paid Search Ads, 2019).
- 70 percent of millennials like it when they can click on a product from an ad. (Google, 2018)
- People who visit a website after clicking on a PPC ad are 50 percent more likely to make a purchase compared to visitors who clicked on an organic search result (Wordlead, 2019).
- 2.3 billion "bad ads" were taken down by Google in 2018 (DMR, 2018).
- On average, most businesses see a 200% return on their investment when purchasing Google Ads (Power Traffick, 2019)
- US and UK adblocker usage is down 2%, whilst the use is up 2% for in Norway and Finland (Smart Insights, Q4 2018 online marketing statistics compilation)
Digital strategy, transformation, and technologies statistics 2017
- Over a third (36%) of marketers are actively trying to integrate digital and traditional marketing activities, with a quarter saying they have limited integration and 13% saying their approach is ad hoc and not integrated. Just 15% say they are fully integrated with a further 6% optimizing their approach (Smart Insights, Managing Digital Marketing 2019, 2019).
- Over 45% of sales and marketing professionals who indicated they currently have an account-based marketing program in place report they’ve practiced ABM for less than one year. And nearly 2 in 5 respondents classify their organization’s ABM program as still being in its early stages — just beginning to implement tools or processes to support the larger program (Terminus, State of Account-Based Marketing, 2019).
- Over 50% of marketers intend to add additional technology in 2019 to their ABM stack. This number has decreased dramatically since 2017, where 83% of respondents planned to add new technology (Terminus, State of Account-Based Marketing, 2019).
- Website development, email marketing and social media are the most effective channels for B2B (Smart Insights, 2019).
- The modern living room features a multitude of connected devices, including significant innovation and adoption of OTT and IoT landscape (comScore, State of Digital, 2017)
- Marketers who usually or always plan their projects and campaigns when executing against their strategy are 356% more likely to report success (CoSchedule, State of Marketing).
- CRM, marketing automation and website visitor intelligence are the three most commonly used martech tools for companies that are advanced in ABM strategies (Terminus, State of Account-Based Marketing, 2019).
- 10% have a digital transformation in place for longer than two years and almost a quarter (24%) have just started. Roughly 3 in 10 (31%) are preparing to start their digital transformation program within the next year (Smart Insights, Managing Digital Marketing 2019, 2019).
- Shockingly, nearly half (45%) of businesses don’t have a digital marketing strategy, but they are doing digital marketing. This seems to go along with a more general lack of planning since 40% do not have a marketing strategy which digital marketing activities should be aligned against (Smart Insights, Managing Digital Marketing 2019, 2019).
- AB testing is popular, with almost half (49%) of companies using it to research and improve customer journey effectiveness (Smart Insights, Managing Digital Marketing 2019, 2019).
Ecommerce statistics 2017
- Email marketing and SEO are the most frequent sources of ecommerce traffic for respondents across all revenue ranges while channels such as affiliates and content marketing were less frequently used (MarketingSherpa ecommerce benchmarks 2017)
- Average ecommerce conversion rates are 1% – 2%. Even if you are doing everything right, you can still expect to win the sale around 2% of the time (BigCommerce 2017)
- For the majority of online transactions, the path from awareness to conversion is very short — 71% of consumers make their purchase within a week of awareness or desire (KPMG Global Survey - the truth about consumers 2017)
- Less than half (43%) of companies with online stores report seeing significant traffic from social media (MarketingSherpa ecommerce benchmarks 2017)
- In Q2 201, total digital commerce has grown to account for over 1 in every 6 discretionary dollars spent by consumers (Smart Insights, Q4 2017 Online Marketing Statistics)
- Consumers in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, France, Belgium and South Africa were most likely to be influenced by price or promotions. In these countries, more than 38 % of consumers said price and promotions were the factors that drove their most recent product choice (KPMG Global Survey - the truth about consumers 2017)
- 64% of consumers say that watching a video on social media influenced them to make a purchase (Animoto, 2017) [clickToTweet tweet="64% of consumers say that watching a video on social media influenced them to make a purchase" quote="64% of consumers say that watching a video on social media influenced them to make a purchase"]
- 22% of omni-channel sellers sell through other marketplaces (including Amazon, Etsy, eBay, etc. (BigCommerce 2017)
- Ecommerce is growing 23% year-over-year, yet 46% of American small businesses do not have a website (BigCommerce 2017)
- 37% of online spend in the US and Europe is now made through Amazon. This figure is 57% for US consumers (Salmon 2017) [clickToTweet tweet="37% of online spend in the US and Europe is now made through Amazon. This figure is 57% for US consumers" quote="37% of online spend in the US and Europe is now made through Amazon. This figure is 57% for US consumers"]
Content Marketing statistics 2017
- 53% of marketers say blog content creation is their top inbound marketing priority. (HubSpot, State of Inbound 2017)
- Content marketing has become an almost universal tactic, with almost 90% of companies using it in 2016, and even more utilizing it in 2017 (Content Marketing Institute B2B Content Marketing)
- The majority of content marketing has limited impact with 75% of blog posts getting fewer than 10 social shares and zero links from other domains (Buzzsumo and Moz)
- 70% of marketers lack a consistent or integrated content strategy (Altimeter) [clickToTweet tweet="70% of marketers lack a consistent or integrated content strategy" quote="70% of marketers lack a consistent or integrated content strategy"]
- 87% of B2B buyers give more credence to industry influencer content. Buyers also indicated they give more credence to peer reviews, third-party publications, and user-generated feedback. More than two thirds (68 percent) of buyers said they frequently give credence to peer reviews and user-generated feedback. Sixty percent give credence to content authored by a third-party publication or analyst. (DemandGen Report – 2017 Content Preferences Survey)
- Top five B2B content marketing tactics: Social media content (92%); eNewsletters (83%); articles on your website (81%); blogs (80%); in-person events (77%). (IMN Inc.)
- Third-party/analyst reports (77%) is the most valuable B2B content viewed during decision-making process (B2B content preferences report, 2016)
- 54% of B2B marketers rate their content marketing strategy as 'moderately effective' (Smart Insights) [clickToTweet tweet="54% of B2B marketers rate their content marketing strategy as 'moderately effective' " quote="54% of B2B marketers rate their content marketing strategy as 'moderately effective' "]
- Marketers believe research reports (46%) generate leads with the highest customer conversion rate (Ascend2 - Lead Generation to increase conversions report)
- 60% of marketers create at least one piece of content each day. (eMarketer)
Social media statistics 2017
- Facebook provides the highest social value for B2C (96%) whereas Linkedin provides the highest social value for B2B (93%) (Smart Insights and Clutch, 2017)
- Written articles (27%), videos (26%), and images (24%) are the three most engaging content on social media (Smart Insights and Clutch, 2017)
- Only 5% of web-using adults have a lot of trust in the information they get from social media (Key trends in social and digital news media, Pew Research Center, 2017)
- 70% of Instagram posts don't get seen (Independent, 2017)
- Social Media captures over 30% of online time (Global web index, 2017)
- 40% of internet users are most likely to use social networks to keep in touch with what their friends are doing, whilst only 27% use social to research/find products to buy (Global Web Index, 2017)
- 25% of Instagram ads are single videos (Sprout social, 2017)
- Social Media and video viewing are the two most popular online activities, together accounting for more than a third of all internet time (Smart Insights, Q4 2017 Online Marketing Statistics)
- 86% of consumers prefer more authentic and honest brand personality (Sprout social, 2017)
- User-generated content has a 4.5% higher conversion rate (Sprout Soical, 2017)
- The most-used campaign type among all Facebook campaigns is Brand Awareness—55% of advertisers leverage Brand Awareness campaigns to drive impressions at a widespread and cost-efficient clip. Post Engagement (54%), Conversions (48%), Traffic (47%), and Reach (43%) are not far behind (Wordstream, 2019).
- 30% of marketers are using last click attribution to conversion (Wordstream, 2019).
Mobile Marketing statistics 2017
- 1 in 3 Gen Z in North America are using voice command on Mobile (Global Web Index 2017)
- UK users spend almost 2 hours per day online via mobile (Global Web Index)
- Increasing brand awareness and engagement are the biggest objectives for mobile advertising (Brand Quarterly, State of Mobile 2017)
- Mobile now represents almost 7 in 10 digital media minutes, and smartphone apps alone account for half of all digital time spent (comScore, U.S cross-platform future in focus 2017)
- Creating personalized customer experiences (32%) is the greatest long-term growth potential for mobile products (Open Mobile Media, State of Mobile 2017)
- 48% of cousers start mobile research from search engines – (Smart Insights, 2017)
- Targeted mobile ad spend will grow from $12.4 billion in 2016 to $32.4 billion in 2021 – (BIA/Kelsey, 2017)
- Avg. page load speed on mobile sites is 22 seconds – (Think With Google, 2017)
- A 10 second page load time has a 123% higher bounce rate than a 1 second page load time (Think With Google, 2017)
- 69% of digital media time is spent on mobile (comScore, 2017)
- Phones and tablets combined to produce 74% of retailer Google search ad clicks in Q1 2019, an eight-point increase from a year earlier (Merkle, Digital Marketing Report Q1 2019).
Email Marketing statistic 2017
- 29.8% of marketers believe their email marketing is average (Smart Insights and GetResponse, 2017)
- Limited internal resources (28%), lack of strategy (28%) and lack of content (23%) are the biggest challenges to delivering successfully automated email marketing programs (DMA, Marketer Email Tracking Study, 2017)
- PC and tablet users have unique click rates of 3.8%, a 40% increase over the 2.7% mobile click rate (MailChimp, Impact of Mobile use on Email 2017)
- Marketers are out of touch with what customers want - they see trustworthy reputation (38%) and exclusive content (29%) as the most effective for sign-ups but consumers want money-off discounts (45%), free samples (35%) and free delivery (35%) (DMA, Marketer Email Tracking Study, 2017)
- Personalized email content based on software/machine learning is 55% effective (OneSpot, The return of Email personalization, 2017)
- Open rate has increased from 35% to 58%, unique open rate has increased from 15% to 25%, click rate has decreased from 10.8% to 3.8%, unique click rate has increased from 2.1% to 2.5% (SendGrid, 2017 Global Email Benchmark Report)
- Over 205 billion emails are sent every day - a figure expected to grow by 3% each year (Radicati)
- Open rates are 14.31% higher in segmented campaigns than in non-segmented campaigns (MailChimp, 2017)
- Clicks are 74.53% higher than non-segmented campaigns (MailChimp, 2017)
- 80% of marketers are now carrying out basic segmentation, with a further 14% planning to do this in the future (Adestra, Email Marketing Industry Census 2017)
For more email statistics and benchmarks, we have a full compilation of open and clickthrough rates for email campaigns in the UK.
Influencer Marketing statistics 2017
- Influencer marketing will be integrated in all marketing activities for the majority of marketers (Traakr Influence 2.0: The future of Influencer Marketing 2017)
- 84% of Marketers worldwide say they would launch at least one influencer campaign within the next 12 months (Smart Insights 2017)
- 70% of teenage YouTube subscribers trust influencer opinions over traditional celebrities (Google, 2016)
- 86% of women turn to social networks before making a purchase (Alist daily, 2016)
- 71% of consumers are more likely to make a purchase based on a social media reference (Alist daily, 2016)
- 48% of marketers planned to increase their influencer marketing budgets in 2017 (Linqua, 2017)
- Over half of internet users say they follow some sort of celebrity account on social, with figures reaching as high as 68% among 16-24s (Global web index, 2017)
- Advertisers that implemented Influencer Marketing in 2016 received $11.69 in Earned Media Value (EMV) on average for every $1.00 they spent (RhythmOne)
- 71% of luxury brands measure influencer success through web traffic (Econsultancy 2017)
- YouTubers with over 7 million followers are earning $300,000 on average, Facebook and Instagram accounts with over 7 million followers are also getting over half that amount too (The Economist)
Other digital marketing research 2017 (UX, Video, ABM etc.)
- Video will make up 80% of consumer online traffic by 2020 (Animoto, 2017)
- 96% of consumers ages 18-34 watch a social video a few times a week and 75% of millennials watch video at least daily (Animoto, 2017)
- 18 videos are published per month by businesses (Hubspot, 2017)
- 62% of marketers plan to increase their investment in Facebook video in the next year (Animoto, 2017)
- Facebook generates 8 billion video views on average per day (Social Media Today)
- Users who have a bad mobile user experience are 60% less likely to revisit and purchase from that brand in future (Smart Insights 2017)
- Diary studies are used by just 2 in 10 (22%) researchers and just under half (47%) use search log analysis (NNG, user experience careers)
- Global cart abandonment rates have increased 1.3% (up on the previous quarter) to 76.9% (SalesCycle, The remarketing report)
- VR devices are currently too expensive according to 66% of respondents and the majority (86%) would like to try VR before buying (Ipsos MORI via Marketing Week)
- 17% of users delete apps because they are not useful and 17% delete them because they take up too much storage space (MarketingSherpa, Customer Satisfaction Research Survey)
- Youtube remains the top content distributional channel to add into a marketing strategy (49-52%), within the next 12 months (HubSpot, State of Inbound 2017)
- Over half (52%) of consumers want a fast response to their issues, something that can be hard to achieve with an automated service (Smart Insights)
- 27% of users skip video ads because they don't like video ads that play before the video they want to see (Smart Insights)
- 21% of respondents characterize Sales and marketings relationship as either misaligned or 'don't know' (HubSpot, State of Inbound 2017)
- Marketing priorities include converting leads to customers (70%) and attracting visitors to their site (55%) whilst considerably less (29%) said sales enablement was a top priority (HubSpot, State of Inbound 2017)